Tips for Buying Permanent Insurance?

Hmmm, this almost is sounding like a DIY guy.

A one time sales commission bothers him. Probably has investments that have no loads but have the highest ongoing expenses they can be charged.

Up front, in the middle, at the end or along the way, EVERYBODY gets paid for their work. If you can be fooled into thinking your better off by not ending your sales charges with the money you put in rather than when it just sits and/or hopefully has gains... Well good luck to ya. You figure out what is , If you're worried about somebody getting a one time commission of 50% on your first year premium, ya might want to watch out for term as some of those term policies pay 120% first year commission.

Worry less about some of the things you're fretting over and just decide if it works for you or not. In my old age I tire quickly in this type of debate. We've all dealt with your type of client and honestly at a certain point ya stop caring about what they do. It's horse to water stuff.

Again good luck, about the last 20-30 threads have told you the same thing. Please just do what you want. I deal with people like you 25-30 years later and they spend a lot of money or more often are told "no you can't get covered anymore because of health." and are screwed. I run into more people who now wish they bought whole life as a young person, because all the theories they used to talk themselves out back when are now screwing them over as they still have a need, but now the insurance even as term costs a lot more and is rising and any gain in their BTID is now being used to pay for the ever increasing cost of term coverage.

Sorry, I own WL and am so happy I made that repurchase at 29. Originally owned the first plan at 22. Was talked out of it to chase 14% returns. Went into the business learned that I was stupid chasing returns on products that never gave me control and would screw me later in life. I repurchased WL. Now just shy of 30 years later and becoming totally uninsurable because of health I am so glad I made that choice to rebuy WL.

I own the policy, my costs are locked in, the policy returns about 3x in cash values as to what I put into it in premium. They can't price me out of what I "own". I've said this twice now. I own the policy. I make the decisions, they can't price me out or change the terms. Insurance companies charge a hell of a lot to give up control, is that because it's a bad choice for the client?

I could go on for pages about why I love my WL choice and not any paragraph would be about return or commission somebody made one time. Try laying in a hospital bed, dodging death and figuring out where you go from here? Not having to worry about the life insurance because I own it, gave me peace of mind that you can't imagine yet because you're a young guy.

I 'm glad that when I was your age, I looked around at others who were older and saw the mistakes they made in their choices financially. I honestly never thought I could have died in my mid fifties or become uninsurable as at your age I was still knocking the crap out of people on the rugby pitch and the idea that my health would change so dramatically 25 years later would actually happen. But it could and it did and something I did when I was super healthy has turned into a godsend later when it turned out I wasn't. I've actually used my disability clause which paid my premiums while recovering. Not many investments have a option that continues to pay and grow your portfolio like a WL can.

Anyway, two or three paragraphs too long Sorry. Good luck to you. In all your hypotheticals, maybe add in your health changing and becoming uninsurable. Someone already mentioned DI, you haven't, you should have.

Peace of mind, not worrying about what the stock market does, not worrying about what would happen to your wife, etc. are all wonderful things.

Last edited:
I do have an interest question.

I think DHK said that when a loan is taken, the ins co pulls interest at the same time. This is not the experience I've had with my little Penn Mutual policy. There when I take a loan, I get billed annually for interest along with the premium.

Is this a policy design change over the years, something I'm not understanding about different types of policies, or (something else I don't even know how to ask about)?
Thanks.

Then you have a better situation as I believe interest being charged at a given rate over a set time is better.

From my experience, loan interest is charged one year in arrears and is one way for insurance companies to help discourage borrowing.

----------

One way to look at that, is with dividend paying policies, the interest payment goes to the insurance company and is paid out as a component of the dividend. Not a "wash", but it's a way for the insurance company to pay out that dividend.

I was curious, so I took a look in the policy.

(Again-this is a 1974 policy-not anything current).
The loan provisions section is too lengthy to copy, but it does include this on the interest:

Loans shall bear interest at the rate of 6% per year payable at the end of each policy year. Interest not paid when due shall be added to the loan and shall bear interest at the same rate.

That's basically the way I remember things working when I've had loan balances-so yes I think I am getting the specific rate over time variant.

Last edited:
One other thing I am curious about (and I am going to be consulting with someone about my specific situation) -- But is there a level of insurance coverage below which all these technical combination types of things will not work well?

One of the advantages of focusing on the advantages of cash values of life insurance, is that you can "almost" ignore the death benefit. Obviously, we want a death benefit. But if you're "ultra-preferred", your $10,000 maximum non-mec contribution will buy more death benefit than if you're Table F on the underwriting scale. All the other advantages will still apply, as long as you can be given an offer for coverage.

Other factors besides health are age and the source of funding the policy and for how long. A capital transfer for 10 years for a 55 year old would lend itself to fund a 10-pay policy vs paying out of income for a 40 year old until age 60 or so. All these kinds of things can all play out in how to design a case properly.

Don't know where the OP person has gone but....

scagent answers the best IMHO.

The question is...how long do you plan on living?

If it is more than 30 years, then term won't get you there. At that point (age 65?) the GULs mentioned are also expensive vs spending similar amounts of WL at a much younger age.

If you invest the difference and have this big nest egg the OP is (hopefully) projecting, then he will need money to pay estate taxes - it will come from his/her hard earned and disciplined investments. Having PERMANENT insurance (WL or other cash value policies) are quite handy to eliminate that need to take the money from the savings.

Will he/she manage to live a life that doesn't undergo financial stress like bankruptcy (WL cash is protected in most bankruptcy situations), another deep recession (or two, or three) and he fearfully pulls out his investments as most retail investors do (check the research)? Things happen in life.

I believe people are more likely to access investments as needed and the slightly higher returns might not be worth the risk to many people. It also depends on what time period you are analyzing. There are decades where the market, with all its risk did not out perform many cash value policies.

Is the OP considering the tax implications on his investment returns in his tax bracket that reduce his total returns? (I haven't read all the posts in depth.)

Again....the key question is when do you expect to die. If you outlive your term policy, then your investments have to carry the whole ball of wax for you - including paying all estate taxes. Permanent insurance seems more expensive but in actuality may be far cheaper in the long run - when you factor in repurchasing MORE life insurance after age 60-65 or so.

And that is not even dealing with actual risk and risk tolerance. You gain peace of mind and may give up a bit in total return for knowing that money will be there.....including when you die...whenever that is..70...80...90...or longer!

At any rate...good luck in your investigation and your final decision!

Back