Tricks of the Trade

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. I've only been in business since 1977 so I am sure you have many more clients than I have.

Maybe I'm just a better agent than you.

If you want to insult me, please just give me a call.

Rick

Not insulting you. I do find it odd that an agent has never tried replacing any of your clients. Never a med sup, med advantage, FE policy, anything? Since 1977?

You must be some kind of insurance savior. May I touch your cloak oh worshipful master?

First the more clients you have the more exposure you have. That may be my issue and why you've never experienced a replacement.

90% of my business is initiated off a cold call. There is a lot of lead companies that use this method. The idea is to put them out of business so I thrive. May sound foolish to you but it works.

Sorry but it wont work, you can do it as I do but it wont work. Many unethical lead companies dont follow DNC regulations. As well, many that do follow it still end up calling people on the DNC since no list is 100% up to date and accurate.

And I might add, they will still get bombarded with direct mail.

First the more clients you have the more exposure you have. That may be my issue and why you've never experienced a replacement.

90% of my business is initiated off a cold call. There is a lot of lead companies that use this method. The idea is to put them out of business so I thrive. May sound foolish to you but it works.

Your insecurity is misplaced and your method reeks of fear of loss.

If you don't want your clients to leave you, you need to INCREASE your service level... not try to "block other agents" as though it's some 'game of chess'.

If you are:
- Sending your clients and prospects a newsletter every month/quarter
- Contact your clients 2x a year
- A nice guy
- Provide an excellent service
- Ask for referrals to whom else can use your service...

And that's a moat that no one else should be breaking through.

If you're getting replaced... then you've been fired by that client for LACK of service and contact.

If you're getting replaced A LOT... you've got a SERVICE issue... that your competition will THRIVE on and thank you for.

An agent only has a competition issue if they have a lack of service.

Most of my leads are generated through my telemarketers cold calling seniors and peaking their interest in an insurance product.

Because of this method every time I sell a customer (regardless of the lead generation method) I always assist them in signing up for the national DNC list.

This helps protect my book of business since others should not be able to contact my newly acquired customer via telemarketing.

Hope this helps.

It also removes them from the pool for every other marketer that wants to sell them anything. Not for nothing, but how fast do you think the DNC would be growing if every marketer was doing this across all verticals?

Hell, how many customers do you think you'd have a crack at call if every time any insurance agent sold them anything, regardless of the lead source, put them on the DNC. Assuming half of seniors currently not on the DNC have bought at least some product from an insurance agent the numbers start to get really lean really fast. That's not to mention how many other products are sold via telemarketing.

The entire idea is foolish. If you've done a good job for your client and written the proper product at the proper price, why would you care if someone called them?

I can't remember losing a client to another agent. Maybe you have that issue.

Rick

I don't know about that these days when I do an annuity rollover I submit a letter of instruction from the client to the existing carrier directing them to waive all conservation efforts as they have made their decision and in that light to add them to their internal company DNC list for the carriers employees and agents.

There are certain activities that either help your business or hurt it. Helping your clients register for the DNC will never hurt, and takes seconds to complete.

I feel like I'm the only one who's ever lit a match after I've pinched a loaf.

----------

Your insecurity is misplaced and your method reeks of fear of loss.

If you don't want your clients to leave you, you need to INCREASE your service level... not try to "block other agents" as though it's some 'game of chess'.

If you are:
- Sending your clients and prospects a newsletter every month/quarter
- Contact your clients 2x a year
- A nice guy
- Provide an excellent service
- Ask for referrals to whom else can use your service...

And that's a moat that no one else should be breaking through.

If you're getting replaced... then you've been fired by that client for LACK of service and contact.

If you're getting replaced A LOT... you've got a SERVICE issue... that your competition will THRIVE on and thank you for.

An agent only has a competition issue if they have a lack of service.

Doesn't matter what you, there is always something more you can do. That's the reason for my original post.

Not insulting you. I do find it odd that an agent has never tried replacing any of your clients. Never a med sup, med advantage, FE policy, anything? Since 1977?

You must be some kind of insurance savior. May I touch your cloak oh worshipful master?

You can't cold call for medicare advantage but I guess you wouldn't know this since you're so new to the business. Being on or off the DNC wouldn't matter.

I write almost exclusively Plan N so would welcome another agent trying to replace me. When sold properly and servicing clients a good agent doesn't get replaced.

I don't write FE because I don't like the product.

Given your paranoia, you must get replaced quite a bit. Due to your inexperience, I bet you need to work hard to replace all the lost business.

And you should worship me but as far a touching my cloak - NO.

Rick

I don't know about that these days when I do an annuity rollover I submit a letter of instruction from the client to the existing carrier directing them to waive all conservation efforts as they have made their decision and in that light to add them to their internal company DNC list for the carriers employees and agents.

I think this is a great idea, I am going to implement immediately, thanks for the suggestion.

----------

You can't cold call for medicare advantage but I guess you wouldn't know this since you're so new to the business. Being on or off the DNC wouldn't matter.

I write almost exclusively Plan N so would welcome another agent trying to replace me. When sold properly and servicing clients a good agent doesn't get replaced.

I don't write FE because I don't like the product.

Given your paranoia, you must get replaced quite a bit. Due to your inexperience, I bet you need to work hard to replace all the lost business.

And you should worship me but as far a touching my cloak - NO.

Rick

Before MIPPA you could cold call. Of course you knew that since no agent has ever contacted any of your clients since 1977.

My sarcasm is sparked from your point that you've been in the business since 1977 and "never" been replaced. The only way this is remotely possible is if you barely write any coverage. Moreover you've only started writing Plan N since the inception of Plan N. There was no Plan N in 1977.

Your comments don't add up. Are you even a full time insurance agent or are you still running some kind of association?

Before MIPPA you could cold call. Of course you knew that since no agent has ever contacted any of your clients since 1977.

My sarcasm is sparked from your point that you've been in the business since 1977 and "never" been replaced. The only way this is remotely possible is if you barely write any coverage. Moreover you've only started writing Plan N since the inception of Plan N. There was no Plan N in 1977.

Your comments don't add up. Are you even a full time insurance agent or are you still running some kind of association?

I didn't say I was never replaced. I said I didn't remember ever being replaced. If it makes you feel better, let me say that in the past 5 years I don't recall ever being replaced.

And if you want to get into an insult contest with me, you'll lose. Although you are a major asshole, I'm a bigger one.

Rick

Last edited:
Back