Veteran Sales Producer Needs Advise!!!!

Hi guys. Been lurking here a long time; just decided to join..thanks for having me! Here is my dilemma: I started in insurance in 2001-voluntary benefits, 99% with Aflac. I did very well, built a huge book of business, but then the company changed its hiring philosophy; everything became focused on recruiting new agents, and it seemed we were just one big pyramid. I got out in 2015. Vested 100% in a moderate book that I still earn renewals off of. Next step: I took a job with a small, local Nationwide Agency (as an "associate agent.") They were 9/10 personal lines and told me they wanted me to "grow their commercial book substantially." Ok...fast forward: its' been 7 months. I hit the ground running, putting in grueling days cold calling, telemarketing, pounding the pavement, etc. It paid off: i closed 21 groups in short period of time. Am #1 in commerical production for the state (of Nationwide agents.) PROBLEM: I've been very successful at closing groups, BUT...I'm miserable, and about to have a heart attack. The owner of the agency is a young guy (bought the agency from him father.) He doesn't like to leave the office, and he absolutely cannot sell. I'm the only person in the agency actively marketing, selling, doing any kind of assertive outreach. There is small staff that services the personal lines. Average commission on a commercial account: 14% and I have to split that with the agency. So I get 7%...not a lot, but hey, okay, I knew that going in. But when I LEAVE the agency, I DON'T KEEP MY BOOK. Is this normal and typical? I don't like busting my back to make renewals for someone else. As long as I work there, I get them, but they really belong to the agency. Hmm. Not happy. I don't like working for someone else, and I absolutely don't like NOT keeping my own book. I'm 10-99, receive a modest base that will diminish every year, until its down to zero. Zero benefits, no health insurance, no retirement plans, and to be honest, no room for advancement. If I'm going to work this hard (and I'm not afraid to...I'm 54, but haven't lost my zest, work ethic, or enthusiasm.) why don't I work for MYSELF? Any advice as to what I should do next? I LOVE to sell and am not afraid of really hard work...I can slam on the phones all day and not break a sweat...not trying to brag, just being truthful. I get results...but I"d like those results to make ME richer (relatively) rather than some Principal Agent. Again, comments, feedback, suggestions, anything anyone (esp the veterans out there) would be appreciated. One more thing: Nationwide's appetite--commercial wise---is narrow. I am always scoring appointments with groups that NW declines...for example, electrical contractors...if they install fire alarms, NW won't touch them. It pretty much eliminates a big swath of that industry. 40% of the cases I bring in get declined because NW's underwriters are often ridiculous. I wonder if they want the company to make any money at all. The office I have to report to is 9-5, and not a very cheerful place to work. I feel like a total outsider, trying to scrounge up BOPs and competing with OTHER Nationwide agents. I'm a heavy hitter, but lately I just feel like something is wrong. I can't even put my finger on the total reason for my intense dissatisfaction with this job...I AM used to working for myself..that's got to be a big part of it. Mostly I want to build my OWN book...but now I'm just repeating myself Sorry if this is rambling...hope someone answers!!!! PS: I've though about: -working for NY Life: I'm good on the phones, love to sell life, and they've tried to recruit me a dozen times, I'm just unfamiliar with their contract. -buying an existing book somewhere -buying an independent agency -forming an independent agency. ME: Female, attractive, 54, married, kids on their own. BA, MBA, love to sell.

Not saying this is the most ethical approach.... :) Why don't you get your own E&O and signup w/ a few surplus carriers on your own. If NW rejected the case, then write it w/ the surplus guys? Surplus won't show up on the DOI list of your appointments.

Not saying this is the most ethical approach.... :) Why don't you get your own E&O and signup w/ a few surplus carriers on your own. If NW rejected the case, then write it w/ the surplus guys? Surplus won't show up on the DOI list of your appointments.

Haha....i like the way you think....but im sure she would get busted by superiors eventually....dont you?

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful response. I have an interview with NYL next week. My concern is that ALL the training is in Waltham, Mass, which is a good 1-2 hour ride for me (without traffic.) The gentleman I spoke to said I would have to attend 7 trainings a month at this office---all on my dime.

Hmmm. Still looking and thinking.

----------

You should also learn the difference between asking for ADVISE and asking for ADVICE.

Just saying...

Rick

Yes, I know I misspelled the word "ADVICE" in the subject line of my original post. Sorry; I'll go into the time-out corner for a while...
:laugh:

familiar story. signed on with Aflac and closed a big case and saw the reality of a limited-knowledge platform. i have developed great distribution channels and markets in multiple arenas since leaving Aflac like yourself except for P&C. i went the business owner route along with LTC and National 100% self-elect term life distribution. it is the future hands down. i only see a very select few individual agents down the road. Millennial don't want to meet us in person InsuranceChic!.

reach out to me and lets discuss our goals. i need a personal lines rep that understands the business and business itself.

god speed

B

Ok, so I was a NYLIC agent for almost 17+ years and left because their focus was on financial products and life insurance. You appear to like the group side of the business and there is a lot of money to be made on your own. Do you have a non-compete with your current agency? If so, then you may have to bite the bullet, when you leave, until the non-compete is over. If you do not have that clause then all is fair upon your departure.

I would stay away from an agency setting and strike out on your own. You are still 'young' enough to make a go of it. An agency setting will re-focus your attention to their core products and not your desired selling medium.

I would suggest you develop your own business plan. Decide what you want to sell, in what area, and under what circumstances. Any time you work for an agent/agency, you are working for them and as a rule (not always); you do not own your business. So, striking out on your own would seem to me the best mechanism at your disposal. There are hundreds of ancillary and voluntary/worksite carriers that you could appoint with in order to get started.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to me. Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful response. I have an interview with NYL next week. My concern is that ALL the training is in Waltham, Mass, which is a good 1-2 hour ride for me (without traffic.) The gentleman I spoke to said I would have to attend 7 trainings a month at this office---all on my dime.

Hmmm. Still looking and thinking.

----------

Yes, I know I misspelled the word "ADVICE" in the subject line of my original post. Sorry; I'll go into the time-out corner for a while...

LOL...

"Tomato---Tomatoe!"----->..."ah da same thang !

I was with the NYL office you are interviewing for about 9 years. I had a lot of financial industry experience but none in sales so NYL worked out for me. You have ton of sales experience, NYl will only train you in personal life insurance. In exchange, you will never own your book. NYL manager will say that you are building your business, however, that means no one else can sell to your clients while you are an agent. Even this is not strictly enforced. The book stays at NYL when you leave.

The GO you are interviewing had no one in your profile when I left 2 years ago. I just checked out of curiosity, they only have 1 woman partner. They have the best receptionist in the company though.

I would ask to attend the Monday morning training session and also ask to interview few people who have been there 3 years. try not to interview last months agent of the month.

My office central square Cambridge. Feel free contact me. I can guide you on the other companies in Boston.

One last thought..(and pardon iPhone grammar/typos).
If you truly want to own your own business and work with industry pros...and Since you are in the CT,RI and MA area irecommend looking at Boston mutual and TRANSAMERICA as their northeast VP's are second to none. They are great worksite co's and BML joins group with worksite so you can offer LTD and group along with worksite products. Very personal and boutique operation. Transamerica has kick ass products also if that is your wheelhouse. Let me know if you want a warm intro to the regional VP's. And Yes, you own your production. You are not a captive slave and they encourage using other carriers because an honest pro will always concede that they are not the best at everything.
I am contributing here as I have had to find myself in this industry. No one is going to hold your hand and let you know your full potential unless you are independently writing business for all of them.
NYL is a great company and their agents are well informed. Wish I had the time for those training sessions. But don't be captive. Investigate lIfe, di, annuity GA's and be loyal to your client. It takes more work but showing your client three options in their best interest will bring good fortune down the road. I'm not a recruiter but I have contacts that saved me from the scenario you are facing now. Everyone needs a rabbi!

Whatever you do you should own your book,The longer you invest your time in a company's book and build resid, The harder it will be to change, Until something changes like with aflac, Only dif is with Aflac at least you still get paid

Back