Virtual Appointments Medicare AEP Sales

Do virtual appointments create more opportunities?

• Total voters

Theworkz513

Hey Guys,

I’ve been in medicare telesales for a while and I’m thinking about going independent and being a broker. I started in the field and my biggest issue was driving all over the place for no shows and last minute cancellations. It was so aggravating that I went internal with one of the major companies and have been pretty successful with it since. When I learned about all appointments going virtual I had a lightbulb moment and wanted to get experienced agents opinions on whether it’s feasible...

I’m already licensed in all 50 states to sell health products and have my required certifications to sell Medicare products for next year... With everything being virtual this year could I become an independent broker with all the major carriers and buy leads from the carriers without having a ‘territory’? Obviously, before having a territory made sense, but due to COVID-19 I believe this opens the door to sidestepping that since everybody is going to be a phone call or virtual appointment away from being helped; whether they are down the street or across the country...

Does this make sense, or is there something that I’m missing that’s going to make this substantially more difficult than I’m thinking? Is it even possible to purchase leads in a territory you’re not living in? I never even explored this option when I was in the field a few years ago. Any opinions would be appreciated. Once again this is all just a what-if thought at this point, but with blackout period starting September 1st, I know I need to decide and makes moves soon if it’s actually feasible. Keep in mind I’ve only worked with one company, so territories might not even be a thing outside of who I work for, so I’m sorry if this question seems confusing or ignorant.

In the independent world, there are no territories. You hold a license in 50 states and that means you can sell in 50 states. And yes, lead vendors will get you leads in any state you want.

And yes, you want to make a move on this very quickly if you want to get set up with the needed MAPD carriers that you'll need before AEP starts.

If you are in need of answers for more questions, you can post them here and you will get them. You can also give me a call if you like. It's different on the independent side for sure! You're gonna like it!!

I'd be curious to hear how this went for you if you did jump in this year.

I am an independent broker and tried to do mostly virtual sales this year for the same reasons as you listed.

I'd say the biggest hurdle is that so much of the over 65 market do not even have an email, which is the easiest way to do online enrollments and signatures.

This can be overcome by doing the whole thing through the mail - send scope back and forth, then plan materials, then pre filled application after phone appointment. But as you can imagine thats almost as much of a hassle as driving, and many people just simply won't follow through on all of the steps. I'm considering that it might be worth finessing the by mail enrollments in order to work from home.

With that said, I'd like to focus on virtual enrollments as much as possible in the future. the younger crowd (T65-70) that will email back and forth while on the phone would be ideal. Interested in hearing any insight you've gained as well.

Best wishes the last few weeks of AEP

Humana, United, and WellCare all have over the phone options. The SOA is recorded over the phone, and the rep on the line at the carrier completes the disclosure part of the enrollment with WellCare. It was a bit clunky, but it got the job done.

As others have said though, getting people to present to has been a problem for me.

Back