W. Clement Stone

My first inclination is to think it's a made up story. But maybe that's just the cynic in me that's been developed by all the BS marketers out there?

You're skeptical that a brand new agent would close 80% of cold called leads from the phone book with a shot at closing 100% with a little time all because he didn't know they were not real leads?

Me, too.

You're skeptical that a brand new agent would close 80% of cold called leads from the phone book with a shot at closing 100% with a little time all because he didn't know they were not real leads?

Me, too.

The thing is, Stone's experiences were from the early days of the development of the insurance business as we now know it. If you read his book with today's paradigm, all of his stories sound fishy. But if you've been around a while, you know that this business has changed dramatically even in relatively recent memory.

For example, in the mid 90's it wasn't unusual to get a 3 or 4% response rate on a FE mailer (1.5-2% was the norm). One time I did a 1,000 piece drop & got back 96 responses! That would never happen today!

Back in Stone's day, some of the concepts we take for granted were still pretty new. People were generally less jaded & more willing to listen. It was a lot easier to turn over a rock & find a prospect than it is now.

The thing is, Stone's experiences were from the early days of the development of the insurance business as we now know it. If you read his book with today's paradigm, all of his stories sound fishy. But if you've been around a while, you know that this business has changed dramatically even in relatively recent memory.

For example, in the mid 90's it wasn't unusual to get a 3 or 4% response rate on a FE mailer (1.5-2% was the norm). One time I did a 1,000 piece drop & got back 96 responses! That would never happen today!

Back in Stone's day, some of the concepts we take for granted were still pretty new. People were generally less jaded & more willing to listen. It was a lot easier to turn over a rock & find a prospect than it is now.

They also used to tell time with a sundial.

The story sound like every lead seller saying that every lead they sell ig a good lead in the right hand. The implication being it's you, not us.

But before I get accused of being upset again let me make it clear, I am not. I am more amused that people will fall for that stuff. But PT Barnum said over 100 years ago that's there one born every minute.:laugh:

It was a lot easier to turn over a rock & find a prospect than it is now.

In this story the brand new agent closes 80% of phone book cold calls and has a good shot at the other 20%. Times have changed but, Caucasian please!

well ladies and gentleman, I am a firm believer in positive thinking. In my persaonl opinion I believe Mr W Clement Stone, Mr Norman Vincent Peale and Mr Napolean Hill were not only great businessmen of their time, but also great VISIONARIES! Back in the late 90's I lived in a highrise condo overlooking the mountains and the TN river in Chattanooga,TN and they has a great public libary. At the time I was in the medical field but also part-time in sales. Network Marketing to be exact! I sucked at it but learned alot.

Anyways, in that library, there was a book called "THINK AND GROW RICH" by Napolean Hill. It was a first edition, written in the 40's!!!! I was excited. Read it several times and ended up passing it to my "at the time" downline in my mlm company.

I never made money in that venture but I learnt some great info from that 1st Edition book that I never got back.

Long story short....the info in that book still holds true today. We could all learn something from it. I sure did!

Back