Websites or Blogs?

Blogs are good because they are rich in content and search engines love them. However, they're bad at converting customers. Someone searching on Google who's looking for an insurance agent to call isn't going to want to to read paragraphs written in your blog. Make sure you use your blog as a tool to get your website to rank in search engines. Don't make it the thing you want customers to find.

I recommend only having more than one if you can handle it. If you have a good blog that has been around awhile, and the search engines know it exists - it's better just to keep posting content on it. The more you update it with good content, the more secure your position on the search engines. It's useless having multiple blogs unless Google has indexed them. If you want to find out if Google knows about your blog, go to blogsearch.google.com and search the title of your blog.

or you could put the blog on a subdomain of your website, and not squander all that great traffic.

Yes! Being a web developer and specializing in SEO, adding a blog to your site as a subdomain is perfect. Either do blog.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com/blog. Whatever sprinkles your cupcake.

Use a blog to get information out there about relevant content on your business. Use the website as a tool to conduct business. Make it part of your system. Collecting information, letting clients manage and update their information, request changes, run quotes, etc.

You definately want to have a blog and a website. One part of SEO that so people miss especially in larger/saturated markets is using the power of a bigger website as a way to outrank their competition.

Which is what you can do with a blog...it will also create more internal linking power for you.

I typically reccomend that my clients set up at least two blogs...one on your website on a subdirectory i.e yourwebsite.com/blog or whatever you what to call it. Always do a sub directory over a sub domain as Google tends to treat sub domains like as a separate domain but considers sub directories as a deeper extension of a single domain.

And then another blog from an external source which will help you build backlinks.

This way your building content and backlinks at the same time. Which can help your website rank faster and make it easier to hold its position once it is ranking.

You definately want to have a blog and a website. One part of SEO that so people miss especially in larger/saturated markets is using the power of a bigger website as a way to outrank their competition.

Which is what you can do with a blog...it will also create more internal linking power for you.

I typically reccomend that my clients set up at least two blogs...one on your website on a subdirectory i.e yourwebsite.com/blog or whatever you what to call it. Always do a sub directory over a sub domain as Google tends to treat sub domains like as a separate domain but considers sub directories as a deeper extension of a single domain.

And then another blog from an external source which will help you build backlinks.

This way your building content and backlinks at the same time. Which can help your website rank faster and make it easier to hold its position once it is ranking.

Two Blogs? Overkill, I dont disagree with using a Blog, but most have no idea how to use it properly or what the strategy should be on building authority and never do it on a consistent basis. Why? They dont see results!!!

So Just having a blog and posting content will not cut it, Like most do. The blog will never build any authority, so much easier ways to instantly drive traffic and sales and build "Authority Links" from "Authority Sites"

Google needs good content for its Searchers, based on the Keyword Phrases.

Is it going to get relevant content from already Established - Trusted sites or an Agents (PR0) blog?

Use the leverage from the Authority Sites from your relevant indexed content, then link that to your relevant content on your Blog, then to your Website. Trust me the Traffic will Arrive!

Last edited:
Back