What Do You Think About This Approach?

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
Just wondering what you guys think about this... I currently have a call list of about 1000 people and it has been very difficult to get people to call me back to discuss their insurance. Also these are the ONLY people I am allowed to work since I am in a captive situation where I cannot just write anyone. I recently printed off a list of all my "prospects, leads and clients" and decided to e-mail each individual a simple "trying to contact haven't had the opportunity to meet yet" e-mail asking them to reply or to call my office. I would slightly adjust the e-mail weather they were a client or just a prospect. So I started this and I did about 60 e-mails so far and I have to say I am getting responses about 13 so far but MOST of them have been "no thanks we are fine right now" or "not in the position to do anything I WILL CALL YOU when ready". I left some of these people multiple voicemails prior to going about the e-mail approach and nothing and it seems like people are more likely to reply to e-mails since it is easier to BLOW ME OFF.

Basically what I am asking is do you think I am giving them an easy out by using e-mail for a simple response or do you think I would get the same answer either way if I was calling?

PS - I am primarily pitching Life.

Thanks!

Advisor06 said:
Just wondering what you guys think about this... I currently have a call list of about 1000 people and it has been very difficult to get people to call me back to discuss their insurance. Also these are the ONLY people I am allowed to work since I am in a captive situation where I cannot just write anyone. I recently printed off a list of all my "prospects, leads and clients" and decided to e-mail each individual a simple "trying to contact haven't had the opportunity to meet yet" e-mail asking them to reply or to call my office. I would slightly adjust the e-mail weather they were a client or just a prospect. So I started this and I did about 60 e-mails so far and I have to say I am getting responses about 13 so far but MOST of them have been "no thanks we are fine right now" or "not in the position to do anything I WILL CALL YOU when ready". I left some of these people multiple voicemails prior to going about the e-mail approach and nothing and it seems like people are more likely to reply to e-mails since it is easier to BLOW ME OFF.

Basically what I am asking is do you think I am giving them an easy out by using e-mail for a simple response or do you think I would get the same answer either way if I was calling?

PS - I am primarily pitching Life.

Thanks!

How in the world would you make a living with only 1,000 prospects. Does your captive agency pay you $100,000 salary? How did they talk you into taking a setup like that?

Yes, send the email. Meet with any that want to meet. Quit bothering the ones who don't.

Your company has you set up for failure in my opinion.

How in the world would you make a living with only 1,000 prospects. Does your captive agency pay you $100,000 salary? How did they talk you into taking a setup like that?

Yes, send the email. Meet with any that want to meet. Quit bothering the ones who don't.

Your company has you set up for failure in my opinion.

I am starting to feel the same way but do you think if I were making "cold calls" I would get a different response or convince them to at least meet with me? My manager feels that anytime someone gives you an objection you have to tell them "that's why we need to get together".

Kocking on their door will yield better results than what you are doing but why are these 1,000 people your only prospects?

Kocking on their door will yield better results than what you are doing but why are these 1,000 people your only prospects?

Because it is a captive "members only" company and if I were wanted to sell other people I would have to get them to join which is a little bit of a hassle.

The further I go in this business the more I run into people that would rather communicate electronically that over the phone. I have clients/prospects that will reply to a voicemail with an email. Crazy I know.

Your manager is an ***.

Most people aren't in the market for life insurance today and if you pester them, you're just going to piss them off.

Of that list of 1,000 names, you'll be doing good to sell 3-5, 10 would be great. You are cold calling and don't even know it. Some of these people may be open to discussing life insurance in the future if you treat them with respect and keep in touch.

I have a strong suspicion this list is of people who have already bought or are union members, club members or something similar. The list probably gets handed to a new guy at least once a year and they are just plain tired of being called by every new guy who wants to sell them life insurance.

Your manager is an ***.

Most people aren't in the market for life insurance today and if you pester them, you're just going to piss them off.

Of that list of 1,000 names, you'll be doing good to sell 3-5, 10 would be great. You are cold calling and don't even know it. Some of these people may be open to discussing life insurance in the future if you treat them with respect and keep in touch.

I have a strong suspicion this list is of people who have already bought or are union members, club members or something similar. The list probably gets handed to a new guy at least once a year and they are just plain tired of being called by every new guy who wants to sell them life insurance.

You are right MANY of them already bought and the ones who haven't really are dead leads. The list does keep getting handed down and I feel the people I am calling already know my pitch before they even pick up. Most of them tell me they are tapped and don't want to pay what they are currently paying and I can't do anything for them. Aside from a possible term conversion or small increases my opportunity is limited.

I love the industry and am confused where to go from here or just to stay and try to drink the kool aid. I was looking as Mass but I don't like the joint field work while giving up 35% to the sales manager who goes on the appt with me. My other concern is that because I was brought in on prospecting from a list I have no training on how to find quality prospects or where to start. I don't like being limited to only one company because I feel that I should be able to shop for the best product for my client to reduce being replaced.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Become an independent agent, find an agency willing to bring you on and learn, learn, learn everything you can from the agency. Being stuck with zero prospects (because, let's be honest here, if you are given a list of people who have already been worked to the bone, you really have zero prospects), doesn't allow you to grow, learn or move along in this business. Take yourself out of this crappy situation and find something else, anything else!

Best of luck!

Become an independent agent, find an agency willing to bring you on and learn, learn, learn everything you can from the agency. Being stuck with zero prospects (because, let's be honest here, if you are given a list of people who have already been worked to the bone, you really have zero prospects), doesn't allow you to grow, learn or move along in this business. Take yourself out of this crappy situation and find something else, anything else!

Best of luck!

How do you find agencies that are hiring? One of my reasons I stay with the company I am with now is because they offer health insurance but I feel paying over $350 per month for an individual is a lot.

Latest posts

Back