• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

What Health Insur. Options Available to Friend who is Currently Immobilized by Pain from Unbiopsied

Re: What Health Insur. Options Available to Friend who is Currently Immobilized by Pain from Unbiopsied Tumor in Pancrea

She called the Marketplace but they said that she'd have to call again to speak to someone specifically experienced with special enrollment.

Also, they said that she would need to wait at least 30 days before her insurance could cover surgeries if she did get insurance. I don't know if someone can confirm this is how things should be?

It sounds like your friend called the Marketplace right when the janitor was mopping the floor, then answered the phone.

Everything the Marketplace service representatives do in between the annual Open Enrollments is related to Special Enrollments.

Wait 30 days for surgery? Hogwash! I have read through a few insurance policy documents and have yet to see any of them that require a wait for surgery. That would be illegal, even before ObamaCare. Appendicitis today, surgery today. No problem.

Tell your friend to call again on Tuesday, at a different time, when the janitor is not working. She'll have better luck!
-Allen

My friend lives in Kansas.

She has a pancreatic tumor and needs to get it biopsied. Apparently that could cost up to $20,000?

She is currently immobilized by pain. She is a registered nurse but had her license suspended. Even though she is still officially employed by her job she can not use her employer's insurance because of the suspension.

She literally has no money. She tried to apply for KanCare, the Medicaid of her state, but they denied her because of her cars, which, according to blue book values, come up to be assets worth more than $800, despite each car being 10 years old and probably hard to sell for such prices.

ObamaCare was considered and I could help her pay her premiums but the open enrollment starts on the Nov. 15th and she needs help NOW. I am uncertain if she could apply for the special enrollment period since she technically wasn't fired from her job and even if she was it has been more than 60 days.

She has no credit built up but is quite capable of paying off dept once she is able to return to her job as a RN.

I've considered cosigning with her on a loan. We've also considered Medicare. Her hospital won't accept any special payment plan deal with her doctor...Her doctor considered the option of taking her to the emergency room but apparently her condition isn't bad enough to do that yet.

Please, any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated. Should she contest/dispute the rejection of KanCare?

So why didn't she apply within the 60 days? Those are the rules.

Back