Where can I research Part B drugs?

In the formulary I read it is covered by Part D, but with PA (Prior Authorization). So, there are hoops to jump through.

I need you to dumb that down for me a little bit. Does that mean it is no longer covered by part B? Where can I read this myself? Is it on Medicare's website? Is there a link?

That is from the Humana Drug Formulary. Every PDP company has a formulary and I have not looked in any others to confirm if they also cover the drugs and have that policy. Prior Authorization means the pharmacy and the Dr will have to get involved with the insurer.

Whether a drug is covered by a PDP or not has nothing to do with Part B, which includes Hospitial and Dr administered Drugs.

Call a Dr. office and hospital billing department and ask them about part B coverage for Remicade and Humira.

Google, search Medicare.gov, ect.

patch is right. The doctor's office prescribing the medication will usually know if this medication is covered under Part D or Part B because they're the one's usually doing the billing

The doctor's office didn't give her a definite answer.

I called the drug manufacturer today. They said it is still covered under Medicare part B if her arthritis is one of the listed types that it is approved for. I am going to have the doctors office call them and discuss her exact condition to get the answer straight from the source. It appears like it will be covered.

Thanks everyone for their help. Some of this can get confusing.

Humira and Remicade are both used for off label and experimental treatments and this will affect whether the PDP Part D or Part B will cover them. You are on the right track.

I need you to dumb that down for me a little bit. Does that mean it is no longer covered by part B? Where can I read this myself? Is it on Medicare's website? Is there a link?

Some drugs that are on Part D formularys may be administered in the doctor's office. When this is done, they are considered Part B benefits. This can be a two-edged sword, but in many cases can save the client some big bucks for hi $ drugs that can be administered by IV or injection.

Also, I tried without success to get Medicare to give me an answer on some specific Part B drugs. They just drive you around in circles and won't respond to your question directly. Best advice is get the info from the doctor's office.

Back