Which insurance industry is the most professional and rewarding?

JurgenInsurable

Hello fellow agents, my wife and I are both p&c agents working on opening a new independent agency. We want to offer ACA and medicare too, so my wife started with the license and the capacitation. We realize that it is a whole different world. In this short period of studying this market, we think it is a better market to work with ( no binding authority, underwriting, premium to be collected).

Now I wonder, is this market as rewarding as p&c and life & annuities? Or is there something wrong with this market that we should take into count to compare it with other markets? And overall, which is the most professional and rewarding insurance market for you?

Best.

That's like asking which is better:

Ford or Chevy.
Ginger or Mary Ann.
Glock or 1911.
Dog or cat.

The preferences are in the eye of the beholder.

For me, it's P&C, Ford, Mary Ann, 1911, Dog.
:yes:
Right on all but P&C... I didn't like that phase of the business at all. I enjoyed the med sup business back in the day... I still enjoy selling cancer insurance and blue collar life (FE) ..

That's like asking, what is a better investment for a professional, a dentist chair, a chainsaw, or a 747 airplane. Three completely different items, with three completely different costs, with completely different applications, that solve completely different problems, that could present completely different income (or loss) opportunities for completely different types of businesses.

With that said, I have done very well with commercial P&C which probably has the highest failure rate. I doubt I would have done as well in any other area of insurance, while the opposite might be true for other people.

Last edited:
That's like asking, what is a better investment for a professional, a dentist chair, a chainsaw, or a 747 airplane. Three completely different items, with three completely different costs, with completely different applications, that solve completely different problems, that could present completely different income (or loss) opportunities for completely different types of businesses.

With that said, I have done very well with commercial P&C which probably has the highest failure rate. I doubt I would have done as well in any other area of insurance, while the opposite might be true for other people.
Agreed. I focus on a niche that a lot don't but is very rewarding because quoting and underwriting are both a giant PITA.

Any profession or specialty can be rewarding. Are you, OP, talking about making money? My answer is the same either way but I just want to clarify your vague question.

Hello fellow agents, my wife and I are both p&c agents working on opening a new independent agency. We want to offer ACA and medicare too, so my wife started with the license and the capacitation. We realize that it is a whole different world. In this short period of studying this market, we think it is a better market to work with ( no binding authority, underwriting, premium to be collected).

Now I wonder, is this market as rewarding as p&c and life & annuities? Or is there something wrong with this market that we should take into count to compare it with other markets? And overall, which is the most professional and rewarding insurance market for you?

Best.

That's a good question. You're already in a business, that takes more time and money to get ahead in, than any of the others. If you're burned out on it, it would be difficult to make the $$ in med supp and aca, compared to an advanced pursuit of life and annuities.

Med supp and aca pay the bills..life and annuities generate massive quantities of cash for boats. road trips, scholarships, etc. However, the life business is very stressful. If you have a tendency to drink too much, I'd have to advise against it.

Back