Why Do We NEED Uplines (FMOs)?

Ever wonder why so many FE type companies make you go through an IMO?

We act as a cushion for them in many ways. One of the best ways, for them, is that the chargebacks roll up to us. Otherwise, they would get stiffed by unscrupulous agents instead of the IMO's. :swoon:

I would like to sell Insurance during AEP and teach P.E. the rest of the year and then take Summers off completely. Talk about a dream job.

From the carrier stand point, I can tell you from working closely with the office staff of a large carrier here in KC they love FMO's because it decreases all the "stupid agent calls". Think of all the new agents who need hand holding or agents that don't bother reading anything and just pick up the phone to call. There were lots of "how did this person get their insurance license" and head pounding after the calls.

I imagine you pretty much nailed it. Of course, it only furthers the OP's point. The FMO is there to benefit the insurance company, not the agent.

Just look at some of the questions on here. I can only imagine the calls the companies get. Of course, you also get plenty of home office people who don't even know their own products or how they work.

Here are three questions I tell agents they need to ask when getting ready to enter a contractual relationship either with an FMO or an insurance company directly:
  1. How will you train me to be effective and knowledgable on this specific product line?
  2. How will you help me find qualified prospects in order to write more business than I can on my own?
  3. How will you help fix issues that arise in regards to enrollment, commissions, claims, etc.?
The answers to these questions will help you determine which are good options, and which are not.

Here are three questions I tell agents they need to ask when getting ready to enter a contractual relationship either with an FMO or an insurance company directly:
  1. How will you train me to be effective and knowledgable on this specific product line?
  2. How will you help me find qualified prospects in order to write more business than I can on my own?
  3. How will you help fix issues that arise in regards to enrollment, commissions, claims, etc.?
The answers to these questions will help you determine which are good options, and which are not.

You are asking the impossible of a FMO.

Back