• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Windows 7 Released Today, What It Means For Insurance Agents

Sometimes..... depends on the d-bag client you are talking to. If he is impressed you get the business and make more.

Do you think they'll be impressed if you show them the Aero shake during an appointment?

If it was only that easy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I ditched my desktop and do everything from my laptop. I like not skipping a beat from being in my office to hitting the recliner at night or when I'm travelling. I like reading at night so I'm looking into a Kindle.

What kind of laptop do you use?

I'm not much into audio books - haven't pulled the trigger on the Kindle yet. Barnes & Noble is supposed to be offering a color screen.
Google is going to be offering an online reading service to purchase books and read them on your browser combined with Google Books.

I agree with Al3 , I bought Mac's around 2 years ago. We still use PC's in the agency mainly due to cost.

I was really fed up with viruses, crashing, and an OS that is basically unstable at best. Macs have essentially no viruses and seldom crash (very rare).

Mac OS is largely Linux / Unix based true and tried stable for decades. Mac is really impressive with a lot of items, however it can be challenging to run business applications that are not available for the Mac.

Mac has the ability to run Windows in a virtual type environment, but it is a huge resource hog particularly on the memory, and Macs tend to have less memory capacity.

My vote is PC for the office, Mac for home... That's how I do it, mainly because I enjoy Macs.

Side note - Macs hardware DOES break, and often. Consider the apple care or use a credit card that has some extended warranty.

I agree with Al3 , I bought Mac's around 2 years ago. We still use PC's in the agency mainly due to cost.

I was really fed up with viruses, crashing, and an OS that is basically unstable at best. Macs have essentially no viruses and seldom crash (very rare).

Mac OS is largely Linux / Unix based true and tried stable for decades. Mac is really impressive with a lot of items, however it can be challenging to run business applications that are not available for the Mac.

Mac has the ability to run Windows in a virtual type environment, but it is a huge resource hog particularly on the memory, and Macs tend to have less memory capacity.

My vote is PC for the office, Mac for home... That's how I do it, mainly because I enjoy Macs.

Side note - Macs hardware DOES break, and often. Consider the apple care or use a credit card that has some extended warranty.
I agree wholeheartedly agree, the design dept. head LOVES Macs; but even if every employee loves Mac I just find it more efficient to run a XP Network. Using enterprise software, sharing files, managing firewalls.

Windows for work.

As for Mac for home I'll have to take your word for it. :)

Newer Macs can hold up to 16 GB of RAM. The one I'm ordering comes with 4 GB and for $200 more I'm doubling that. It is true that if you want to virtualize Windows often, you need at 2 GB. I only have 1 GB and while Windows runs fast, it slows the Mac side down a bit. Fortunately I don't run Windows often and when I do I usually just power up the old 512 MB Toshiba lappy and run my Ohio National quote.

With the exception of some high-res games, I've yet to find anything you can do on a PC that can't be adequately done on a Mac... at least biz-wise... since you CAN run Win on a Mac (and quite well too. It's amazing.)

That has not been my experience. When you crack open a Mac it is a work of art inside. You open a Dell or HP and it's a hodge-podge of patch wires, and a design with poor ventilation which causes so many issues.

Apple charges about $100 for 3 years of Apple Care. If their hardware was breaking often, they would go broke at that price. That's not to say that all Apple stuff is "best." I had a bluetooth wireless mouse that was crap. Apple replaced it and it was still crap. They finally sent me a wired mouse which works well. And my wife's MacBook blew a CD drive which Apple replaced at the store while I waited.

Let me ask this. Can you even BUY something like HP care or Dell care? Do they even offer this? If they don't it means that either their stuff never breaks (ha, ha) or that they would go broke if they did!! You make the call!

If you want a laptop that will NEVER break, get a Lenovo or a used IBM Thinkpad. Man, the engineers cut no corners on those. Tough as nails! More consistent than a whining, bitching, howling neo-con who just learned Obama is coming to his town to visit! :D:D:D

Al3

Back