Winning MAPD Business ?

Forgive the beginner question BUT how could someone be on a MAPD and disability and T65 at the same time? I thought you had to T65 to be eligible for MAPD? (are you speaking of someone who's dual-enrolled? I don't know all those rules yet).

Thanks for your help
Someone could be on Medicare prior to 65 due to disability & only choice was MAPD. Once they turn 65 they have the opportunity to pick new plan, get supplement. Not every state has under 65 Supplement plans.

Thanks for the info guys.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I know agents target market people during AEP already signed up for MAPD. (they might be 1 or 2 yrs into the plan). I thought they did so to try and change them over to another plan?

At that point, what's to stop an agent from persuading the insured to make 'the new prospecting agent' the AOR?' (same program etc). If the insured doesn't like the AOR or isn't getting serviced or simply being ignored, what's to stop the INSURED from making an AOR change during AEP?

Thanks!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I know agents target market people during AEP already signed up for MAPD. (they might be 1 or 2 yrs into the plan). I thought they did so to try and change them over to another plan?

At that point, what's to stop an agent from persuading the insured to make 'the new prospecting agent' the AOR?' (same program etc). If the insured doesn't like the AOR or isn't getting serviced or simply being ignored, what's to stop the INSURED from making an AOR change during AEP?
Agents should be following up with clients on MAPD's. I usually follow up several times per year. I contact them before AEP ask them if they are happy or if they need to look at plan options for the new year. You will always have people happy with the plan but doctors or hospitals drop out of plan so it becomes necessary for the client to change.

I have done AOR's in the past but it has not been on other agents business. It was my old clients who I wrote 3-5 years ago that contacted me again looking for help.

Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks!

Not every company will give you commissions on an AOR change. I know humana will, but I don’t think UHC, WellCare, simply, etc. won’t.

How do you plan on finding aep clients? Your phone isn’t going to ring at all if you’re new to the biz.

I spend my aep mailing all of my clients, taking incoming calls and setting appts with them. And running referrals.

If you’re new, you might benefit from setting up shop somewhere for one company. It’ll be boring and slow, but I got 7-10 sales one aep working Wednesday’s only. If you’re doing DM leads, just call each one and ask if they are happy with their plan and which one they are on. If they say it’s just ok or they don’t like it, set up an appt.
If you go and see them and realize their plan is better than what you can offer or if their Dr isn’t in your network, leave it be.

Don’t press the fact that you can do an AOR change. Get your own biz.

re the AOR question, I try find out if prospects are "do it yourselfers", responding to all the tv advertising, etc. I have a hazy idea it's about 1/3 of the people I talk to, but it's purely anecdotal. Getting named by someone who's a DIY customer isn't stealing from anyone you should be too concerned about....

Anyone have an idea how many people enroll for coverage options without a broker/agent's help?

how many people enroll for coverage options without a broker/agent's help?

Folks that default to AARP or BX rarely talk with a REAL agent. Mostly some HO phone jockey.

get a lot DIY shoppers the following year because the DIY person didn't look up all the doctors, hospitals & medicine on the formulary.

Buyers remorse.

Occasionally I get new clients that have already bought a drug plan . . . same one their spouse has . . . the one that does not have a deductible . . . or they bought the drug plan from the same carrier that issued their Medigap plan . . . so they could get the "multiple policy discount".

If they already have a PDP I offer to review it for them, even if they can no longer change the plan. Some take me up on it, some do not.

Also have folks calling mid year wanting to change their PDP. I tell them they can't change now but I offer to review what they have and compare to what they could have had. A fair number take me up on it. When they see the savings many of them call back around AEP and become clients.

I'm no MAPD expert but think OP brings up a Valid Point.

I too have a relative who lives in a Senior Development. I'm sure that 90% of them have MAPD (i looked at the saturation map).

What is to prevent another agent from marketing to EXISTING MAPD clients and persuading them that they are the BETTER agent and they should switch to new agent as AOR???

I know it sounds underhanded, but A LOT of agents NEVER CALL their existing client base ever...AND simply expect their book of business to continue.

Does the AOR have resign up their existing Client (every-year) or is it automatic renewal?

?

I don't know but I seem to get a lot DIY shoppers the following year because the DIY person didn't look up all the doctors, hospitals & medicine on the formulary.

You're saying they shopped, bought, & now have buyer's remorse? Sounds right.

My experience is with people who find "insurance salespersons" icky, hate the entire topic, never realized commissions are built in to their coverage - because hey, how could there be a commission in something with a zero premium? - so are unaware that they've effectively "paid" their insurer for a "premium service option" - support from a live human Medicare coverage options expert (me) - that is "built in" to their coverage.

A conversation about "how I'm paid" is part of my effort to have my clients buy ME, and not an insurer's product. Startling how few people grasp the distinction between a broker & an agent, why it can matter to them, etc.

Back