Winning MAPD Business ?

I'm no MAPD expert but think OP brings up a Valid Point.

I too have a relative who lives in a Senior Development. I'm sure that 90% of them have MAPD (i looked at the saturation map).

What is to prevent another agent from marketing to EXISTING MAPD clients and persuading them that they are the BETTER agent and they should switch to new agent as AOR???

I know it sounds underhanded, but A LOT of agents NEVER CALL their existing client base ever...AND simply expect their book of business to continue.

Does the AOR have resign up their existing Client (every-year) or is it automatic renewal?

?

I suppose nothing is stopping them except their loyalty to their agent

I don't believe I lost any to AOR since I've been in buis though

Even where there is deep MA penetration:
* People still turn 65
* There are people on Medicaid that have no idea about DSNP plans
* There are still changes in plans every year
* Most people have no idea how AEP works
* Agents still leave the industry, retire, move
* Seniors complexes like to have "speakers"--do some Medicare 101 meetings

In a way, high penetration might work in your favor, clients are predisposed to look at MA

* Get with the carriers about AEP--if they set up meetings ask to do some
* If they dont, they may advertise meetings if you set them up. Find silversneakers locations and rent a room there
* Agree with earlier point---get a carrier to give you some time in grocery/Rx
* Get with an IMO that offers Advertising co-op; do some direct mail and after you have written enough business you can apply for co-op

I don't believe I lost any to AOR since I've been in buis though
I lost a family in southern MO due to AOR. I bought an internet lead 2 years ago, the guy bought a Humana MAPD, at end of conversation he asks if he could enroll his disabled brother that he had POA on in same plan. After enrolled his brother, the guys wife tells me they have 3 kids on Medicare due to mental disabilities & wondered if they could enroll them also, all 5 had Extra Help & were just on PDP. I ended up with 5 MAPD's 1st year commissions on one call, I just hit the Disability Lottery. They are all still on plan but some agent did an AOR in December & have not been able to reach them since. That was my only good internet lead purchase.

I love the conversations that ensue when I "reveal" that it's "ok" - maybe even a money-saver! - for each spouse to have his/her own coverage selection. I work with a number of people whose employer-sponsored coverage of course had no such "flexibility".
The ignorance of people about Medicare---caused by the stoopid Medicare regulations--make almost everyone ignorant. When my buddy and I do an AEP meeting we may have a disagreement and we end up looking it up and we were BOTH wrong. So we tell attendees---we have 45 years experience between us, we do this 52 weeks a year, and WE cant know it all. So if you are your own agent--good luck!

I lost a family in southern MO due to AOR. I bought an internet lead 2 years ago, the guy bought a Humana MAPD, at end of conversation he asks if he could enroll his disabled brother that he had POA on in same plan. After enrolled his brother, the guys wife tells me they have 3 kids on Medicare due to mental disabilities & wondered if they could enroll them also, all 5 had Extra Help & were just on PDP. I ended up with 5 MAPD's 1st year commissions on one call, I just hit the Disability Lottery. They are all still on plan but some agent did an AOR in December & have not been able to reach them since. That was my only good internet lead purchase.
They probably have no idea you are no longer their agent

I talked to that family a lot, they had a lot going on. The house they were all living in was foreclosed, I think they were homeless for a while.
I had a situation where a guy did an AOR on me with a long time client--Hispanic retired couple in the old Hispanic neighborhood. VERY traditional with huge families and lots of neighbors--so LOTS of referrals. I told one client "Hey if you talk to Antonio or Lupe--tell them IM not their agent any more" and I got a call in a day or two. "That guy did WHAT?" I had them back the next day.

Same thing if you have multiple clients in Seniors complexes---"Have you seen Joe? Oh yeah there he is--hey JOE" and tell him what happened

There are scavenger agencies that do nothing but eat what you kill

A conversation about "how I'm paid" is part of my effort to have my clients buy ME

I never broach the subject. Don't shy away from it if they bring it up. I figure what I earn is none of their business. I do have folks ask me which carrier pays me the highest commission.

My answer, truthfully, is I have no idea.

I do tell them they can get the same plan at the same rate direct from the carrier. When they have a problem, call the 800 number, press 1 for English, and leave a message.

They will eventually have a call returned, never by the same person they talked to last time.

Or they can allow me to help. I answer my own phone and call back, usually the same day or at the least, the next business day. Every phone call is followed up with an email to recap our discussion.

Now which plan works better for you? Calling and hoping you connect with someone that knows the answer, or talking with me?

Back