Any older agents out there?

I will be 63 this month. Been selling life insurance for almost 43 years. Wondering if there is any older forum members who still buy 20 FE leads a week and work 3 to 4 days a week trying to make contact with them?
I’ll be 63 in July. So, I’m right behind you on age, but over a decade less experience (I’ll make 30 years in the biz in May.) I haven’t worked with a recurring lead system in 10 years. But I’m still out there 3-4 days in the field working leads. I just don’t usually pay for them.

I’m usually working my book, referred leads, and aged leads. (I bought a pile of moldy-oldies a couple years ago for .25c each, and still working through doorknocking them all - and their neighbors:yes: as time permits.) I have occasionally ordered leads from a vendor if my other sources were slow. But it’s been about 3 years since the last time.

Of course I’m running a substantial debit business that takes the majority of my time. If I was working nothing but bank drafted FE, I’d probably try to get on a 10 per week standing lead order. Even now, I’m thinking about ordering 20 per month, but I couldn’t handle more than that

I just looked at Inscomm and I had 380 MS and MA policies that are were paying renewals. Need to update the files every few years which I haven't done lately so probably only around 250 are paying me something. Most companies don't mail commission statements anymore and I don't have time to go online for every one so I just have to trust the carriers are paying me what I am due.

probably only around 250 are paying me something. Most companies don't mail commission statements anymore and I don't have time to go online for every one so I just have to trust the carriers are paying me what I am due.

I can go online with all my carriers and see a commission statement. Only carrier I have audited on a regular basis is Aetna and Humana. So little with them it really doesn't matter.

Have half a dozen that cover the bulk of my clients. I know about how much each are SUPPOSED to pay each month. As long as we are close I don't check it. Don't have time.

Over 500 are paying renewals so I have enough money to spend every month.

If you are needing residuals you should have been working on that before now.

Years ago me and another local agent named Lucky Nunes were the top producers for Continental Life in our area. Back then you could write 25+ contracts a month and the commissions paid were high enough that you could make a living doing it. Then came Tricare for Life and in 1 month I lost over $6000 in monthly renewals. Lucky lost much more. Since then I have not targeted MS because of how few people are needing coverage here. You have ĺots of military retirees and civil servants so if 100 people a month T65 only 50 need something and you have dozens of agents fighting for them. I work with several P&C agents and one Edward Jones office and they refer me about 5 leads a month and I write most of them.

If the majority of folks in your area are TFL eligible sounds like you are screwed. Might as well give up or resign to knocking on doors until you are 90.

Latest posts

Back