Anyone Familiar with Superior Access

If you had a case take over a month, There is obviously a disconnect somewhere, Please call if it seems to be taking longer than expected. We will rememdy the issues ASAP. We write hundreds of new business policies on a daily basis.

well I gave them a follw up call, theuy requested me to resubmit. So I did, again I did not get a response and by that time the client was no longer interested. I never followed back up on the app just to see if /when I will get a response, never did.

Anyways for Superior Access' 2 year noncompete, would that mean people cannot leave SA for say SIAA? Or it just means you cannot be directly appointed with those companies provided by SA?

I think you are getting smart choice and superior access mixed up. There is a 2 year non-compete with smart choice, none with superior access. With smart choice, the way out is to move the clients to other carriers, that you don't have with smart choice. Once you give them 180 days notice, they stop paying you. I don't see a problem unless you are not competitive. Maybe someone that uses smart choice will fill us in.

Mobrien, in one of your post, you stated SAIS pays 90% carrier commissions. Can you please clarify that as I don't believe that to be true in my case. My estimation is more like 70% new business. What would you say is SAIS official renewal % split? I estimate 50% or as low as 30% with some carriers.

For reference, I've been with SAIS since 2006 and I do agree with you that SAIS has improved in recent years. 24 hours turn around is not ideal for personal lines, but acceptable. I don't have a very large BoB with SAIS, but enough that the membership fees are waived.

Back to my question, I like to know if there are commissions arrangement options that I may not know about. As of August, I started moving my BoB out of SAIS whereever I can, primarily because of commissions.

RTX - Sorry for the late response- And yes please contact your Area Rep. There are multiple commission options availabale. If you have been active since 2006 you are probably a "Standard" Agent. If that is the case then we can definitely improve your commission split. We have experimented with different member levels. Superior Access retains a max of 3 points at new business and renewal. In most cases 1 point on the current Superior plan. If you dont pay fee's, You wont start to pay fee's if you switch..
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I think you are getting smart choice and superior access mixed up. There is a 2 year non-compete with smart choice, none with superior access. With smart choice, the way out is to move the clients to other carriers, that you don't have with smart choice. Once you give them 180 days notice, they stop paying you. I don't see a problem unless you are not competitive. Maybe someone that uses smart choice will fill us in.

Correct, Superior does not have any contracts or non compete's what so ever.

Last edited:
RTX - Sorry for the late response- And yes please contact your Area Rep. There are multiple commission options availabale. If you have been active since 2006 you are probably a "Standard" Agent. If that is the case then we can definitely improve your commission split. We have experimented with different member levels. Superior Access retains a max of 3 points at new business and renewal. In most cases 1 point on the current Superior plan. If you dont pay fee's, You wont start to pay fee's if you switch..
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for your comment. I understand there are two tiers, standard and superior. I'm on the superior plan. With that commission schedule, I have a big issue with renewal commission rate payout and I believe SA takes more than 3 points. If I go through SA for say a home business and another one with another agency or carrier direct. I get paid much higher "renewals", more than 3 points max you say. I could be wrong, but I doubt it with some carriers.

I have tried to bring this issue via phone/email with the old rep, new rep, and one other person in the organization within the past year. It went unresolved and that's frustrating. The old rep did make an effort, but left SA before giving me any resolution. When I saw your comments, I thought I explore again.

Reply privately if you like to give me specifics on the options. As stated, I like SA despite its ups and downs in my 6 years as an agent. It serves my needs well when I was a captive agency. Since transitioning to an independent last year, I have explored other options, which served my interests better. I will probably maintain some business with SA, mainly because I prefer to not put all eggs in one basket.

Curious if anyone in the midwest or eastern us has used superior? I am wondering if there would be a problem reaching someone in the morning since we are technically 3 hours up in CA time. We are based in Michigan as an FYI

Curious if anyone in the midwest or eastern us has used superior? I am wondering if there would be a problem reaching someone in the morning since we are technically 3 hours up in CA time. We are based in Michigan as an FYI

In Michigan, you are better off call the State Big I Affiliate at: www.michagent.org. They will also help with working at www.agentsecure.com (Safeco, Infinity, Progressive & CHUBB for Personal Lines)

They have a program for Personal Lines and Commercial Lines that will help you build a book of business and will help in attaining direct contracts.

Last edited:
Smart Choice or Superior Access? One person IA @ Home, though am beginning to strain at the seams needing to brick-n-mortar outside my home. Shoestring budget. I now have have E&O for L&H through NAPA. & E&O for P&C (NAPA as well) at what I thought was very reasonable. As I continue to do the research I believe I need a rater service, @ a cost, but not for both? And a mo' membership cost, but not for both. In the interim, lining up business, with my Tax consulting business, my day job, which funds me for the year. A lot of info to take in and process, so am proceeding cautiously. I looked into FARMERS but it just didn't feel right to relinquish so much, though appealing. Was with AGLA for short term, too limited & only Life, annuities. Great Company but not why I spent so much time, $$ and energy to get Lic'e on L&H/P&C. Grateful though for exp'e. Trying to set up a one-stop-shop. Capitalize & Cross sell current client base. Many inquiries from my small client base (100) compelled me to get my L&H/P&C lic last year. I would really appreciate any thoughts on Smart Choice or Superior Access? Am in Southern CA. I read threads as new as 2012. There is a 2 year non-compete with smart choice, none with superior access. any recent changes?

Latest posts

Back