Anyone Here Sell Insurance for AAA?

Re: Anyone Hear Sell Insurance for AAA?

I started my insurance career at AAA as a csr, then applied for the 1st sales seat that opened up. It was the slowest branch but I didnt care. I learned how to sell a bunch of personal lines, great products, a decent salary, and massive marketing department to drive business. I wrote 1million dollars in 3.5 years, but grew tired of the hierarchy that comes with any big corporation. And ultimately I didnt get into the insurance business to be a paper pusher or a cashier. so I left. But I respect the organzation 100% and think if you want a 'job' selling insurance then aaa is the spot, but dont expect to build and manage your own book.

I'm not familiar with AAA in Texas, but generally speaking AAA is a great place to learn the craft. Yeah there are miles and miles of red tape to everything there, but their membership base is a massive source of free leads and they really do a fair decent job of marketing for you.

You'll never get rich working at AAA, and you better brush up on your organizational politics, but it's a nice safe job, expecially for someone just starting out in insurance.

If you need sales training and aren't self-motivated to get the information on your own, it may not be a good start for you. Sure, they're going to learn you their products and offer suggestions, but you probably won't get any actual sales training as far as ways to open, sales process, asking for the sale, asking for referrals, cold calling, etc. Then again, that is my personal experience with my AAA. Yours may have a better sales training program. You should ask a lot of questions about what training they offer.

If you need sales training and aren't self-motivated to get the information on your own, it may not be a good start for you. Sure, they're going to learn you their products and offer suggestions, but you probably won't get any actual sales training as far as ways to open, sales process, asking for the sale, asking for referrals, cold calling, etc. Then again, that is my personal experience with my AAA. Yours may have a better sales training program. You should ask a lot of questions about what training they offer.

I've had 20+ years sales training, I was speaking about P&C technical training. But, I do find it strange that a sales organization would not worry too much about sales training.

They have plenty of pep rallys to motivate staff, along with increased production requirements to boot. You'd learn the auto and home products inside and out in a short time though. and the vet agents tend to coach newer agents by example.

We are an independant, and have AAA Home and Auto. They are great to work with in AZ.

I have a AAA membership for roadside service and it's great. I also buy their Mexico car insurance when I head down to Rocky Point every few months. With that being said...

Their Life Insurance product is not competitive at all.
I replaced their final expense product the other day. It was some sort of GUL product that they called "Modified WL" or something like that. Either way it didn't build cash value. I was able to get the client a true WL policy AND a higher DB for the same amount that she was paying w/ AAA.

AAA Life insurance branch is technically a different company from the personal lines and is nationwide out of Livonia Michigan. All AAA employees (to my knowledge) sell the same stuff- Only the captives tho.

AAA has a nice competitive product for Term. 10 thru 30 year terms.... and their return of premium product is solid as well. If you can get Super-Preferred with them they are very tough to beat. Their underwriting on this changes yearly though. Depending on the year it can be very easy or very hard to get their rates.

What AAA doesn't do well is Whole Life or any kind of cash accumulation product. Their plans are extremely basic and most of the agents selling for them have no idea what they are doing. If you ever run across a AAA UL policy check to see if it's funded- the odds are very good it's not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AAA is sort of a strange company that way- TONS and TONS of pep rallies and organizational feel good stories... but their management tends to be more like call center supervisors then actual sales managers.

On this though it really does vary by where you work. Each club is run entirely different and it can change pretty quicky. In my 9 years there the company did a complete 180 about 3 times in how they went about training/management/everything.

Last edited:

AAA Life insurance branch is technically a different company from the personal lines and is nationwide out of Livonia Michigan. All AAA employees (to my knowledge) sell the same stuff- Only the captives tho.

AAA has a nice competitive product for Term. 10 thru 30 year terms.... and their return of premium product is solid as well. If you can get Super-Preferred with them they are very tough to beat. Their underwriting on this changes yearly though. Depending on the year it can be very easy or very hard to get their rates.

What AAA doesn't do well is Whole Life or any kind of cash accumulation product. Their plans are extremely basic and most of the agents selling for them have no idea what they are doing. If you ever run across a AAA UL policy check to see if it's funded- the odds are very good it's not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AAA is sort of a strange company that way- TONS and TONS of pep rallies and organizational feel good stories... but their management tends to be more like call center supervisors then actual sales managers.

On this though it really does vary by where you work. Each club is run entirely different and it can change pretty quicky. In my 9 years there the company did a complete 180 about 3 times in how they went about training/management/everything.

I just started with them in Dec. Do you have the LTUL? I've been selling a lot of those, especially on term conversions. Also, while the term is competitive, the ROP is thru the roof. Have you experienced that?

I enjoy working there although their products are pretty white bread as you say. We have a dmv, travel, and p and c. They all have a life referral requirement so it makes it easier. Commissiions are lower than when I was indie but I see that as the cost of doing biz for not having to really prospect much anymore.

Back