Average Life of a Med Supp?

Wow I had no idea that different states had different rules for GI. I thought this was all standardized on a federal level by CMS. What exactly are you guys talking about when use the term "the birthday rule?"
Minimum requirements are set by CMS in all states. States can add to those minimums and some do. While somewhat familiar with the birthday rules, others here who work in states that have it will describe it best for those states.

Last edited:
Wow I had no idea that different states had different rules for GI. I thought this was all standardized on a federal level by CMS. What exactly are you guys talking about when use the term "the birthday rule?"

In Oregon, when someone is within 30 days of their birthday they can change Med Sups and it's GI.

I'm a med sup noob,

Does every annual open enrollment mean GI for med sups?

The birthday rule means you can change your existing plan to any other carriers same or "lesser" plan without underwriting. The distinction between OE and GI is technical but important. Carriers routinely pay crap for GI but OE is paid generally at full commission.

You don't have a state flag. Are you in Oregon? Just because it's a birthday rule state without experience it may not help you. Without experience selling F2F it's not easy to jump into this on the phone. You also need to learn why Plan F may not be the best value.

Without patting myself on the back too hard I think Medicare Training 101 might be a great resource to learn Medicare, not just how to sell the plans.

(Wait for it......)

Rick

The birthday rule means you can change your existing plan to any other carriers same or "lesser" plan without underwriting. The distinction between OE and GI is technical but important. Carriers routinely pay crap for GI but OE is paid generally at full commission.

You don't have a state flag. Are you in Oregon? Just because it's a birthday rule state without experience it may not help you. Without experience selling F2F it's not easy to jump into this on the phone. You also need to learn why Plan F may not be the best value.

Without patting myself on the back too hard I think Medicare Training 101 might be a great resource to learn Medicare, not just how to sell the plans.

(Wait for it......)

Rick

Is there a list of states that have this birthday rule or something similar?

Yes. Look at post 17 in this thread. Rick

I wonder if post count within a thread is a feature that can be added to the mobile app? When someone makes a post referencing a particular post number there's no way of knowing which one it is unless you count each post.

Just a thought for the app designer.

I wonder if post count within a thread is a feature that can be added to the mobile app? When someone makes a post referencing a particular post number there's no way of knowing which one it is unless you count each post.

Just a thought for the app designer.

Unless they added this feature after you wrote this.. the # of the post is on the top right.. but you can also use that to grab the permalink when referencing a specific post.. like this.. .which links to that post:

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for.../average-life-med-supp-t74655.html#post992231

Back