Bankruptcy - can I be an agent?

One very important point has been made here by many very experienced professionals. You WILL get turned down by many companies with a BK in your near past. But if getting turned down a few times is a issue for you then this is NOT the business for you. Hard work will make you money in any business including insurance.

I am considering starting a new career at age 57. My wife and I each had a business fail in 2007 and had to file Chapter 7 personal bankruptcy. I think that insurance sales may be a way to quickly fund some sort of retirement income through renewal commissions. It also seems that getting into insurance for seniors, I would be in an expanding market.
My question is this: will my recent bankruptcy be an obstacle to getting a license or a stumbling block to hooking up with an agency for training? I understand that a background check is SOP. What are they looking for?

I'm grateful for all advice !!

As long as you can provide discharge papers for most companies, and that your bankruptcy there was no insurance monies involved bankruptcy is not an issue with many companies.. Now with captive companies that may be another issue depending on the company.. I know several agents on independent side who have several companies contracted either after or during bankruptcy.. Let me know I can give you some ideas of who these companies are..

marvic?

It's been 4 years, he's in the business or he's not.

What you should be asking yourself.. "is this a good business to be in if I need immediate cash flow? " People are brought into this business being told this business is easy and pays fast.. yet 90% are GONE before year 2 is completed. If money management isn't your strength personally, think twice about entering this field. 9 out of 10 leave it with even more debt than when they came in.

Not saying you can't have success in this business, but it isn't easy. At least not as easy as many are led to believe.

marvic?

It's been 4 years, he's in the business or he's not.

What you should be asking yourself.. "is this a good business to be in if I need immediate cash flow? " People are brought into this business being told this business is easy and pays fast.. yet 90% are GONE before year 2 is completed. If money management isn't your strength personally, think twice about entering this field. 9 out of 10 leave it with even more debt than when they came in.

Not saying you can't have success in this business, but it isn't easy. At least not as easy as many are led to believe.

That's not for you or I to decide he can figure that out for himself.. Bankruptcy is not the end of one's life, I have agents who have filed bankruptcy and have been very successful in this business and have learned alot..

No one is successful overnight, but they did it and I am a witness to that.. Don't let bankruptcy or some of these negative post deter you from this industry I have seen so many people pick themselves up and help alot of people who needed help in the meantime learn from their mistakes as well..

Jump in you will do well..

That's not for you or I to decide he can figure that out for himself.. Bankruptcy is not the end of one's life, I have agents who have filed bankruptcy and have been very successful in this business and have learned alot..

No one is successful overnight, but they did it and I am a witness to that.. Don't let bankruptcy or some of these negative post deter you from this industry I have seen so many people pick themselves up and help alot of people who needed help in the meantime learn from their mistakes as well..

Jump in you will do well..

Its your level of activity that will determine your success. This isn't rocket science and you don't need a college degree. Some who have done well in this industry resent the fact that it is not rocket science. They think that admitting that somehow demeans their accomplishment. People can do very well right from the start if they are seeing a lot of people. You will learn from your mistakes in presenting and closing as you go. Just keep the activity level up. See the people! :)

marv?

The f ing post is FOUR years old. There's nothing more either way for the guy to figure out. He's either in the business or he's GONE. It's been four dam years since he made this post. Check the guy's posts... he made four of them in August of 2008.

You're another shark in the water that's all. And basically you're a liar if you don't tell people the truth about this business, but all that matters to you is head count.

This business is a full on commitment, it costs money, it takes time.. coming in from a bankruptcy is VERY tough and I wouldn't reccommend it and aparently several insurance carriers wouldn't either. GEE why do you think that is?

That's simply BS to tell anybody "c'mon in, the water's fine."

Back