Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

can you give me some sort of idea how some it works or where can I find more out before I get licensed to make sure I can be profitable?

can you give me some sort of idea how some it works or where can I find more out before I get licensed to make sure I can be profitable?

there are lots of companies out there you can join to market there products. I would say joina comany that does not make you captive and has all the products you need to make money. Stay away from any company charging you upfront!! The biggest thing you will need is a CRM tool ( customer management) If you have questions and need some help you can email me at [email protected], I have great start up packages for new agents

I'll give you even better advise. Go get some products you can cross sell with a mortgage, like Disability and term life to pair up with the thing you're already selling. Focus on that to start with, you already know how mortgages work, explain the benefits of having something in place to pay the mortgage in case they become disabled or lose a spouse. Start with what you already know. No reason to try to be a full service shop right out of the gates.

I've been working on my direct appointments for the past couple of days. I cannot locate the Anthem agent appointment page on their site, nor can I find the Humana appointment page. I am in Indiana.

Also, I am looking to add life companies. I have applied to Genworth and looking at Ohio National. Any others you'd recommend?

Finally, can you recommend good P&C carriers for auto, home and commercial that doesn't require that you have an existing agency with a book of business?

Can someone help out a poor soul? :) Thanks!

Last edited:
I've been working on my direct appointments for the past couple of days. I cannot locate the Anthem agent appointment page on their site, nor can I find the Humana appointment page. I am in Indiana.

Also, I am looking to add life companies. I have applied to Genworth and looking at Ohio National. Any others you'd recommend?

Finally, can you recommend good P&C carriers for auto, home and commercial that doesn't require that you have an existing agency with a book of business?

Can someone help our a poor soul? :) Thanks!

Did you try calling them and asking to speak with someone in licensing? In my state you have to call BCBST for the application.. or at least I couldn't find it without calling them.

Just couple of rookie questions here, if you're going Indy and have gotten appointed by an insurer, do you call yourself an Agent or a Broker?

Secondly, if you want to make a FE flier to pass around, besides your name and license number, do you have to include anything else in the flier?

Last edited:
Just couple of rookie questions here, if you're going Indy and have gotten appointed by an insurer, do you call yourself an Agent or a Broker?

Secondly, if you want to make a FE flier to pass around, besides your name and license number, do you have to include anything else in the flier?

I call myself an "insurance agent". My "official title" on my business cards and on my letter head is "Your Insurance Agent". I like to keep things simple and easy. I want people to know that I am an "insurance agent" just in case they are looking for insurance. The word "broker" may mean different things to different people. KISS it. haha

Some states require the agent to have the license number on everything, other states don't. Missouri doesn't so I have never thought of using it. It's probably a good idea though and I may start doing that.

thank you for providing such detail information for newbies in insurance business, i really appreciate your effort.

thank you for providing such detail information for newbies in insurance business, i really appreciate your effort.

Okay, I know spam when I see it...

I bet you will do a ton of great post,,hoping to get your link on as many post as you can..

Ive seen your website link on other post before you spammed them.

I also looked on your website and not a word of English and not sure why your commenting on a USA Insurance Forum.

Last edited:
Back