Burial, Cremation and . . .

... and here you go!

th

Put a bow on it and put it under the tree. Nothing like opening Grandma on Christmas! :shocked::twitchy::shocked:

John 19:40-42
New American Standard Bible

40 So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. 41 Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden was a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid. 42 Therefore because of the Jewish day of preparation, since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

I'm sticking with the tradition set out in the Bible.

If one has enough money, we still have the luxury of enough space for that.

I think many countries don't.

I wonder how many skulls have come out of catacombs in the Holy Land for TMJ dentist demo models.

as is the burial custom of the Jews.

I think if you look closely, this was a custom not a doctrine. Just making sure we keep things in their proper place.

I tell folks as we discuss how they want to go, "My wife is going to cremate me and put me in a silvered mason jar. That way she can keep me in the kitchen or down stairs in the pantry."

Then I smile and laugh... cause I know where I will really be going... and it ain't anywhere around here! :yes:

I think if you look closely, this was a custom not a doctrine. Just making sure we keep things in their proper place.

I tell folks as we discuss how they want to go, "My wife is going to cremate me and put me in a silvered mason jar. That way she can keep me in the kitchen or down stairs in the pantry."

Then I smile and laugh... cause I know where I will really be going... and it ain't anywhere around here! :yes:

Christianity is founded in Judaism. Jesus, as was the custom of the Jews, and as is still the custom of the Jews, was buried in a tomb.

I will follow his example.

Lots of other examples in the Old Testament, of folks being buried - not burned.

The Bible talks about baptism representing burial with Christ. In my evangelical tradition, we immerse them in a tank, pool river or lake. We don't have them smoker a cigar.

The Bible also talks about burying the body as the planting of a seed, that will spring forth in new life when it is resurrected. We don't toast our seeds before we put them in the garden.

Christianity talks about the "bodily resurrection". The burning of a corpse is an eastern tradition, and practiced by religions that are NOT Christianity or Judaism. Eastern religions don't believe in a resurrection. Not all Jews believe in a resurrection, but some did and do.

I'll stick with the examples in the Bible. I plan to get up from the grave when I hear the trumpet, and I don't want to spend eternity smelling like smoke.

And finally, the Bible teaches Christians that not all people go to heaven, many will be cast into the "Lake of Fire". Not a pretty picture. As a Chrisitian, I don't advocate the remains of a Christian being cast into a fiery furnace. Sends the wrong message.

Last edited:
Christianity is founded in Judaism. Jesus, as was the custom of the Jews, and as is still the custom of the Jews, was buried in a tomb.

Lots of other examples in the Old Testament, of folks being buried - not burned.

The Bible talks about baptism representing burial with Christ. In my evangelical tradition, we immerse them in a tank, pool river or lake. We don't have them smoker a cigar.

The Bible also talks about burying the body as the planting of a seed, that will spring forth in new life when it is resurrected. We don't toast our seeds before we put them in the garden.

Christianity talks about the "bodily resurrection". The burning of a corpse is an eastern tradition, and practiced by religions that are NOT Christianity or Judaism. Eastern religions don't believe in a resurrection. Not all Jews believe in a resurrection, but some did and do.

I'll stick with the examples in the Bible. I plan to get up from the grave when I hear the trumpet, and I don't want to spend eternity smelling like smoke.

And finally, the Bible teaches Christians that not all people go to heaven, many will be cast into the "Lake of Fire". Not a pretty picture. As a Chrisitian, I don't advocate the remains of a Christian being cast into a fiery furnace. Sends the wrong message.

I appreciate your opinion... and respect it.

Me, He is able, from ashes, the sea, or from the innards of lions or tigers... not so much what form I may be in, but where I am going, and whose I am. :)

Happy New Year!

Cryonics is another possible option besides burial and cremation. It has to do with freezing the whole body or head to bring them back to life later. I remember a company back in the 1980's was being investigated for perhaps removing the head to soon like before they were dead don't think anything came of it.

I have sold a lot of cremations to Christians and Jews.

Happy New Year!

Cryonics is another possible option besides burial and cremation. It has to do with freezing the whole body or head to bring them back to life later. I remember a company back in the 1980's was being investigated for perhaps removing the head to soon like before they were dead don't think anything came of it.

I have sold a lot of cremations to Christians and Jews.

How about taxidermy? Bertha might just want to stand Harold in the corner. :rolleyes:

Once dead, what control do you really have over what happens to your body? If your family decides to cremate you, regardless of your desire to be buried, what happens to your plans of getting up from the grave? Will you spend eternity smelling like smoke anyway?

It is my understanding that Jews do not believe in the New Testament, Christianity or Jesus Christ as the Messiah.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back