CALENDAR leads?

How many times do you door knock a fresh lead in the first week? And is there a point when you call it quits?

As many times as the routes allow. If my leads are all in one part of the city there is no telling how many times that door gets knocked. If I am running multiple routes as I am now due to a larger than normal number of fresh leads in more rural areas, I may only get to a door once this week. However, by next week as I make sales or otherwise eliminate leads (moved, no sale, door slammed in face) the routes will shrink and next week that door might get two or three knocks. I never quit on a lead but eventually it becomes filler and not a scheduled route knock. That is a function of its location. I knocked two doors on Monday that are on the same street a few blocks a part. I've had these leads since I was at EFES in early 2018. I knock them whenever I'm on that street which is about once every two months. I finally eliminated one because she finally opened the door and she was on O2 and informed me she was too tired that day because she just got back from dialyisis.

Day timer your obviously in a fertile area . I have tons of door knocks were cars in the drive way and you hear people rustling around inside or the tv on. I don’t care if you knock 40 times there not answering . How about the door knocks were the people are busy and they’ll never answer the door again and avoid you . I’m starting to see the video door bells pop up . They’ll never answer the door .

You identify lots of problems but no solutions. If video door bells are an obstacle why are they an obstacle? What is it about you that is making folks look at you on a video monitor and decide not to answer? Figure that out and fix it. It can't be just that they don't recognize you because I have people every week with video door bells answer my knock and they don't know me from Adam.

If I make an appointment at the door for a later time I flat out tell them "Look, if this is just to get rid of me ... and you're just .... going to pretend not to be home when I come back ... just tell me now - you won't hurt my feelings. This is my job, I have fifty other folks to get to this week. I will be glad to come back .... when it is more convenient for you .... But please ... tell me now ... if there is any reason you will not be here to let me in, so I won't waste my time." I have set dozens of at the door appointments and can count on one hand the number of no shows having used those exact words.

If you knock forty times - they will answer the door. When I knock a home, I'm knocking the door, I'm knocking the windows, I'm knocking the side door, I'm around back up on the deck knocking the deck door. I don't spend 20 minutes at a home but I make sure they know I'm there. If I suspect they are too I will use the leads name and call out, "Hey, Mary? Mary ... It's Daytimer ... open up!" Many of our folks do go out and leave the TV on and the lights on and you may be hearing an old blind deaf dog bumping around in there.

If you are out in the country do the @Rearden routine and hop out of your car, leave it running with the driver's door open and knock - make them think you are lost and looking for directions or otherwise that you intend to be quick. I know @Newby was joking about the big check but he's not too far off.

I was presenting to a lady yesterday on her porch. She had bought a policy just last week from another agent and as I was writing her up a LH agent showed up for her appointment! We all have competition and we all have folks who don't want to sit with us until they are sitting with us. I don't mean to call you out, but you've PM'd me about the same issues and more, e.g. traffic is too heavy, etc. I think this is an attitude business. It can be a tough business to always maintain a positive attitude and outlook, but you have to expect good things to happen if you are to make them happen.

I could write so much more about this. But I don't have time right now. I'd suggest you watch some of @MedicareMillionair's youtube videos - his recent door knock recordings are great and then watch his early videos where he just goes out and knocks and grinds. Also @Agentguy5's youtube videos about working leads - listen to how hard he says to work the phones to get appointments and then ask yourself are you doing the equivalent amount of effort at the doors to get the sit.

Take control. You've identified problems. Now identify solutions.

EDIT: Also, listen to Newby's old interview with JD. JD has an obvious talent for getting folks scheduled over the phone that most of us do not have. Just listen to Newby when he asks JD "Are you living in a different universe from the rest of us" or something like that. We all have similar challenges, wherever we are. We can't all be JD, so the rest of us have to work for a living!

What is it about you that is making folks look at you on a video monitor and decide not to answer? Figure that out and fix it.
I think the problem's obvious. :yes:
SNwFykd.jpg

If you knock forty times - they will answer the door. When I knock a home, I'm knocking the door, I'm knocking the windows, I'm knocking the side door, I'm around back up on the deck knocking the deck door. I don't spend 20 minutes at a home but I make sure they know I'm there. If I suspect they are too I will use the leads name and call out, "Hey, Mary? Mary ... It's Daytimer ... open up!" Many of our folks do go out and leave the TV on and the lights on and you may be hearing an old blind deaf dog bumping around in there.

I'm sure this is very area dependent, but in my particular area of Florida, I've gotten some interesting reactions walking into people's back yards. Mostly from younger people capable of defending themselves from what they perceive to be a 6'4" stranger wandering into their back yard. I have a feeling if I started knocking on windows, the police would show up. But people are a little up tight in Florida with all the hoardes of crooks and perverts. It's something I'm trying to find the best balance for in my area.

I'm not sure how common it is for people to peek through a crack in the door or refuse to open it altogether while standing there expecting you yell out your intentions.

It's funny how in some areas you can leave your car running and sit walk right into their back patio and introduce yourself and in others, as Daytimer indicated, you better not even leave your car running.

I only knock twice and move on. Many times in the areas I work there is a neighbor watching me and some even tell me if the person is home or not. Not going to wander around in the yard. Many here have dogs that will bite, and I have been bitten by some, so I am very careful where I step.

Day timer let’s see if your in the business in 5 yrs . People have video door bells for a reason . They don’t want to answer the door . I’ve seen 100 guys like you talk the crap and 5 yrs later there gone . You do your crap in my area and you’ll get shot . If people don’t answer the door or phone there’s nothing you can do . But of course guys like you see every single lead and sell 80% .

Day timer let’s see if your in the business in 5 yrs . People have video door bells for a reason . They don’t want to answer the door . I’ve seen 100 guys like you talk the crap and 5 yrs later there gone . You do your crap in my area and you’ll get shot . If people don’t answer the door or phone there’s nothing you can do . But of course guys like you see every single lead and sell 80% .

He has the Most important ingredient. A good attitude.

If you knock forty times - they will answer the door.

Do you think those 40 knocks would be better applied elsewhere?
One thing JD always mentioned on those little tapes is the demise of agents that can't seem to let go of a lead they paid for.

Bingo Krobby . What happens after 6 months and you have 100 leads you never saw ? If you keep dking them you won’t have time to work your fresh leads . Called dimishing returns . Had a door knock today . They had a security door on porch with 2 big dogs . I rang door bell 4 times . It was way off the rd . If I had gone to back door I could have been shot . I’m sure day timer would have sold it . In the end there has to be a need or want . Jd would have walked on both like me . I have the money to buy a ton of leads . I want to see people that have an interest .

Last edited:
Back