Can Social Workers Enroll Eligibles in MAPDs, MAs, And/or PDPs?

Re: Can Social Workers Enroll Eligibles in MAPDs, MAs, And/or PDP

I do not do the senior market, but IMHO advice by a social worker apparently is OK; however, a social worker enrolling clients into MA's appears to me to be crossing the line. My advice would be to drop a dime on those people to CMS. Senior market experts on here may give you advice to the contrary.

My wife is a Social Worker for the VA here in Atlanta, and her jaw dropped when I showed her this posting. You need to report them to the NASW (National Association of Social Workers). The NASW will fine them HEAVILY, and perhaps pull their license. CMS can't do a darn thing, but the NASW can!

It will really hit them hard if they are LCSW's or LMSW's. They should know better.

My wife doesn't even tell them about the plans. She tells people to ask their insurance agent. (No, not me. Wife can get fired immediately for that.)

This came up yesterday with a friend of mine. He met with a couple who were new to Medicare. They liked the plan but wanted to talk to the local independent SHIP person. The SHIP representative took a look at the plans and recommended the AARP Medicare Complete Plan 1. She immediately called telesales and did the sale over the phone. My buddy got $0 for his time/expertise.

I think in the AHIP training they mentioned that providers couldn't just basically show/steer one insurance companies plan information, they had to make all of the other plan information available as well. So many regulations, I just mainly focused on what pertained to the agents but I'm sure there was something about that. All though a social worker isn't really a provider but they are employed by the hospital..

I had a client that I put on one MA. She went to her doctor and the nurse told my client that the doctor prefered another MA. They called Medicare at the office, switched my client over. Nothing I could do, not worth pursuing because one would need the client to make a statement against their provider. In general, it won't happen and is a waste of our time and energy.

Why not make friends with the SW and offer to work together to help her clients get the best plan since you are educated in the field. I wouldn't mention any monetary reward but.....

Anyone with a computer, and, the consent of the Medicare Beneficiary can enroll someone in a MA or PDP. Of course....... no commission to the person doing the enrolling.
If you want to make a commission???
AHIP....specific carrier certifications, and, follow the CMS rules.

Back