Career Change at 49 Yrs Old

Great information. I applaud you DHK for being available and taking the time to give sound sales advise. I have never seen a GIVER that doe not get blessed.

Thanks so much for being a part of this Forum. I too am somewhat new to the great world of Insurance Sales - initially overwhelmed with all the unsound advice I have found in the traditional sales business arena.

I have spent all night in the recent past reading (studying) the different posts of Sales "wisdom" on this forum. I too have "re-branded" myself after some 20+ years in business administration across many areas. I love being in a position where I can write my own ticket financially. Again thanks to all who take the time to post.

Personally, the adivice I would give you as an internet friend, is to
stay in the golf business if you can make similar money to what you
were making.

It will take a while to duplicate what you are making, and it will be much
harder, due to the reasons DHK listed already.

So as a part time agent, how long would it take someone who puts in about 2 to 3 hours a day to build up their business. I know you think that starting from scratch and trying to replace an income is hard and possibly not worth it. But, what about someone who wanted to just start out slow and build up their business on a part time basis. What advice would you give?

So as a part time agent, how long would it take someone who puts in about 2 to 3 hours a day to build up their business. I know you think that starting from scratch and trying to replace an income is hard and possibly not worth it. But, what about someone who wanted to just start out slow and build up their business on a part time basis. What advice would you give?

Don't..................................

There is no "ideal". Ideal is developed and defined over time through experience.

However, I would say that some experience in dealing with people's finances would be "ideal" and some money in the bank to keep you afloat for 6-months to a year... would be ideal.

An ideal office...

An ideal training situation...

An ideal compensation plan...

An ideal time when all the stars align...

An ideal time to get married is when you're economically stable and emotionally mature... but if everyone waited until then, no one would get married.

Well, when you put it that way, the ideal way to get started is as an apprentice to someone who is already producing at a level you want, and working with clients in a way you want. Study under the apprentice for a couple of years, and then you could probably transition to being an independent much more successfully.

But everyone has a different background and different skills they bring and need developed to be successful. What's ideal for me may be far from ideal for you. But the longer you stay in the business, the more you study, the closer you'll get to having "ideal".

So simply put, brute force pounding the pavement praying all the way is the only real way to get started?

Right on. :D

Some agents here would probably disagree with me on this and I can see why but its not a field where you can dive in head first and maintain your lifestyle in the first 3 months. Granted there may be those breakout superstars but even then I would have to say those are the exceptional .01% and come around once in a blue moon.

I have a day job and I only put in 6-10 hours a week (sometimes more depending on the meetings) whether it be calling and setting appointments or going out and generating leads. Planning/scheduling is a pain in the behind.

The real struggle is with UW and getting to a point where you can generate rolling income. Due to this, volume is key. To make it easy, if you can submit 10 application, 3-4 might get stuck in limbo (UW) and you can expect income for the next month if the rest of your applications go through without a hitch.

I have to say I am not currently an agent any more. I spent a few years pounding the streets and knocking on doors. Now I spend my time as an I.T. guy with EnrollMyself.com. I do not envy the hours and work agents have to put in. But on the flip side there is a lot of work with regulations and rules when working on the I.T. side. I had thought about getting my license again but after reading this post it kinda turns me off. I am around it all day long so I thought it may be a good idea.

What advice seriously would you give me if I wanted to start off part time? and DHK that was great advice!!! I think working with someone doing it is a great idea!

More on the life health / VA side, what products would you focus on?

Last edited:
Back