Career Path of a Claims Adjuster?

Hi, a little background first ...24 year old Finance Major..Graduated in 2009 so didn't really have any job prospects in finance...decided to work in the family business of cell phones for a year and a half and am finally ready to start a career in the field I majored in.

I applied to a few different positions in the banking industry and have an interview for an entry level Claims Adjuster for an insurance company.

I never gave insurance much thought because most of the positions I came across consisted of sales/financial advisers/planning but this position has definitely sparked my interest.

What is a typical career path for a Claims Adjuster? Are the prospects good for advancement? How long does one usually stay in a Claims Adjuster position before moving onto the next step?

Right now even though I mostly work for myself I'm working 70+ hours a week in retail and with Christmas season coming up I will be working 97+ hours a week. Ive been doing this for almost two years and am finally at the point of burning out.

I'm not 21 anymore and gonna be 25 soon so I am looking for "some" work/life balance.

I understand the nature of this particular position is stressful to begin with considering you're dealing with people who are dealing with property loss etc..

I am mostly wondering what kind of career/positions I can bounce into using this entry level position.

Thank you for reading the long post.

Tony interested to see if you ended up in claims. I've been in auto claims 8 years and it's been a crazy ride.

Tony interested to see if you ended up in claims. I've been in auto claims 8 years and it's been a crazy ride.

I'm really interested in what happened with Tony too. Five years is a long time.

Back