Clients Son Overdosed-

TPAAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Well, theres a 1st for everything.. wrote a lady and her 26 year old son a little over a year ago... Just got a called her son went out doing what she called "Spice".. I don't even know what that sheet is.. but apparently it's some home made stuff using potpourri buds mixed with rat posion or some crazy stuff.. apparently it's the new home made easy high.. man whatever happened to taking a little bourbon from your old mans bottle and replacing what you took with water when you were 17???

Guess it's in line with that opiod stuff and killing all kinds of people- First I ever heard of it... If I were broke and wanted to get high I'd just bang my head against the wall real hard and get the same effect.. and it's free...

So whats the verdict? Carrier decline pmt? Asked the mother today who said he had no prior drug counseling, arrests etc... company issued PNT

Well, theres a 1st for everything.. wrote a lady and her 26 year old son a little over a year ago... Just got a called her son went out doing what she called "Spice".. I don't even know what that sheet is.. but apparently it's some home made stuff using potpourri buds mixed with rat posion or some crazy stuff.. apparently it's the new home made easy high.. man whatever happened to taking a little bourbon from your old mans bottle and replacing what you took with water when you were 17???

Guess it's in line with that opiod stuff and killing all kinds of people- First I ever heard of it... If I were broke and wanted to get high I'd just bang my head against the wall real hard and get the same effect.. and it's free...

So whats the verdict? Carrier decline pmt? Asked the mother today who said he had no prior drug counseling, arrests etc... company issued PNT

spice is synthetic marijuana bad crap, opioid drugs are a total different deal, what was the official reason for death? Accidental OD?

So whats the verdict? Carrier decline pmt?

If the policy has a two year contestibility/suicide clause then it's conceivable that the carrier can deny payment.

Asked the mother today who said he had no prior drug counseling, arrests etc... company issued PNT

If the policy has a two year contestibility/suicide clause then the investigation is going to encompass a heck of a lot more than just what the mother thinks she knows.

OD ing on drugs is not suicide is it?

It might be or it might not be.

That's what an investigation will determine.

However, a contestibility investigation doesn't have to relate to the cause of death.

If the insured made a material misrepresentation on the application the claim could be denied on that basis.

For a misrepresentation to be material it has to result in one of the following:

1 - The company would not have written the policy.
2 - The company would have charged more for the policy.
3 - The company would have limited the coverage.

That's assuming that a policy has a suicide clause and a contestibility clause.

That's what's different than 20 plus yrs ago. In the old days the carrier would adjust the premium and pay the the claim on let's say a smoker who lied . Now if the premium would have been different most carriers deny the claim.

If nothing is in prior history to lead them to believe he lied on the app, they'll likely pay. But yes, they will dig into it for sure.

The company will do everything in their power to not pay the claim. Then it will be on the family to prove that the company was wrong.

Most families don't take up the challenge unless it's a large face policy.

The government should turn to the insurance investigators of death claims when they have an unsolved case on their hands. :yes:

Back