Cold Calling by Canvasing or Targeted List.

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
Is anyone having success these days by cold canvasing a neighborhood or cold knocking a targeted list? I know in days gone by some agents have used it successfully but with the current turmoil brought about by Covid and other things, does it still work? If you work either of these methods, please share your experiences. Looking to hear from those that actually do it or have done it; not from those that never have and have made up their mind it won't work. If you have and quit that is fine. Let us know why..

Is anyone having success these days by cold canvasing a neighborhood or cold knocking a targeted list? I know in days gone by some agents have used it successfully but with the current turmoil brought about by Covid and other things, does it still work? If you work either of these methods, please share your experiences. Looking to hear from those that actually do it or have done it; not from those that never have and have made up their mind it won't work. If you have and quit that is fine. Let us know why..
I haven’t been out knocking this year at all. Originally I was concerned about COVID, so I was trying to do everything by phone. After some restrictions were lifted, I was going to go back out, but found I was still reluctant, not because of my own fears, but because of public perception. But I’ve had a steady stream of business coming in without me having to kick the bushes for it. I keep thinking I’ll get back out there, but I’ve really been too busy. I probably will do some tomorrow. I’ve got a list of orphan lapses to call on, so I’ll probably work that, like I always do, by knocking on their door as well as neighbors.

Having said all that, a friend of mine in Houston, who is also a debit agent, just started getting back to doorknocking last week. He told me today that over the three days he knocked last week, he wrote 14 apps. These were neighborhoods where he already has business, which gives him a bit of an edge, since a lot of those people are used to seeing him going in and out of their neighbors’ houses. But I’d say that’s still a good testimonial for doorknocking.

He also mentioned that he was just coming out of a house with apps in hand as a Primerica agent was knocking on the door. She was going door to door cold knocking. Of course when he realized she was going to try to replace him, he just chuckled and said, “she can try!”

I still don't do in person appointments. I haven't in the last year and a half. I use the excuse that if I see a whole mess of people then it's more likely that I could unknowingly transmit it and pass it on and it's more of a caution for clients.

However, the reality is that I'm more comfortable doing telesales. I get really anxious in person in someone's home and I know how I feel when people want to come in my home.

I went door to door twice in the last couple of weeks, because I had about 50 Dallas football schedules left over. So I thought I might as well pass them out, and maybe get some business in the process.

I went out for about 2 1/2 hours on the last two Wednesday afternoons. I worked a public housing apartment complex where I have quite a few existing clients. Both times I picked up 8-9 prospects. (I don’t usually try to sell the same day. I set up for another visit a couple days out. That helps me weed out the ones that aren’t that motivated.)

So far I’ve written about $3k AP in life, and also a couple of renters policies off of those canvassed prospects. I spent 5 hours of canvassing and 3 hours or so to write up the apps. I think that’s a pretty decent ROI on the time invested.

I’m sure it matters that this was straight canvassing up and down both sides of the street, specifically looking for debit sales. But I see no reason why the same thing couldn’t be done in slightly better neighborhoods for bank drafted FE cases. As long as you’ve got products for whoever opens the door, you’ll pick up some business. I’m not saying that it should be your primary lead source. But if you’ve got some time between appointments, why not knock a few doors?

(BTW - I keep my mask on when F2F, whether cold canvassing, doorknocking from leads, or visiting a client.)

I still don't do in person appointments. I haven't in the last year and a half. I use the excuse that if I see a whole mess of people then it's more likely that I could unknowingly transmit it and pass it on and it's more of a caution for clients.

However, the reality is that I'm more comfortable doing telesales. I get really anxious in person in someone's home and I know how I feel when people want to come in my home.
I’m just the opposite. Even though I do a fair amount of business by phone, I still prefer selling in person. I feel much more in control when I’m in front of someone and can pick up on nonverbals. The mask thing makes it more difficult right now, but I still like F2F better.

Back