• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Columbian Won't Speak to Agents Even Though Client Gives Permission?

finalexpenseguru

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
One of my agents called Columbian earlier this week, a lady he was visiting had a policy that was in arrears (she hadn't paid the premium in the past 2 months). Columbian refused to release any info on the policy with him with her, even though she gave permission to do so.

Is this legal?

One of my agents called Columbian earlier this week, a lady he was visiting had a policy that was in arrears (she hadn't paid the premium in the past 2 months). Columbian refused to release any info on the policy with him with her, even though she gave permission to do so.

Is this legal?

Was the agent the writing agent or agent of record?

Is this legal?

Ive experienced this a few times with different carriers (I cants specifically remember which) and I dont think it's a matter of legality as much as it is each company's policy/procedure.

Perhaps it's wiser for the agent to tell them operator next time that he is a "friend" of the lady, rather than an licensed agent.

I do quite a few of these calls. Most are hassle free. If they balk I ask for department head. Or simply tell the client, while on speaker, to ask this then that. CS usually just starts answering my questions.

Ive experienced this a few times with different carriers (I cants specifically remember which) and I dont think it's a matter of legality as much as it is each company's policy/procedure.

Perhaps it's wiser for the agent to tell them operator next time that he is a "friend" of the lady, rather than an licensed agent.

With the new HIPPA climate, that wouldn't do much good with a lot of companies.. Some companies will only release information to the client or the agent of record.. AIG will not release any information to me on the clients I wrote when I was captive with them even if I have a Special Rep contract currently. If they need something, I have to get the agent the business was assigned to after my retirement. Also, some companies will not honor a clients request to release information to a third party unless it is submitted in writing.

----------

I do quite a few of these calls. Most are hassle free. If they balk I ask for department head. Or simply tell the client, while on speaker, to ask this then that. CS usually just starts answering my questions.

Have had a couple of companies that CS asked the client for some personal "identifying" information other than the policy number before they would talk to them on the phone.

With the new HIPPA climate, that wouldn't do much good with a lot of companies.. Some companies will only release information to the client or the agent of record.. AIG will not release any information to me on the clients I wrote when I was captive with them even if I have a Special Rep contract currently. If they need something, I have to get the agent the business was assigned to after my retirement. Also, some companies will not honor a clients request to release information to a third party unless it is submitted in writing.

----------

Have had a couple of companies that CS asked the client for some personal "identifying" information other than the policy number before they would talk to them on the phone.

I had one this last year that would only snail mail a summary.

Is this legal?

That is SOP with CFG. If you tell them you are an agent they will tell you they do not speak to agents. Even with the person sitting there and giving permission.

Works in your favor when they act like that. But if you want the info you just have to tell them you are a "friend". You need the warn the person beforehand that you are doing that because they will hang up if you tell them you are an agent.

They seem to know that you are an agent but they will share the info anyway with the owner's permission. They have been instructed to not discuss with an agent present. That's been going on about 2 years.

----------

----------

Has nothing to do with HIPPA. It has to do with the company just being difficult because they can.

----------

Same here. The majority of these I am doing on a three way phone call. I prep the client that they will ask name, address, phone, SSN and date of birth. Most run pretty smooth but there are a few that act like a scorned girl friend.

That is SOP with CFG. If you tell them you are an agent they will tell you they do not speak to agents. Even with the person sitting there and giving permission.

Works in your favor when they act like that. But if you want the info you just have to tell them you are a "friend". You need the warn the person beforehand that you are doing that because they will hang up if you tell them you are an agent.

They seem to know that you are an agent but they will share the info anyway with the owner's permission. They have been instructed to not discuss with an agent present. That's been going on about 2 years.

----------

Has nothing to do with HIPPA. It has to do with the company just being difficult because they can.

Could be but when AIG cracked down on their CSRs about releasing info, they cited HIPPA.. But then, I am not quite as cynical about companies as you and tend to take them at their word.

Could be but when AIG cracked down on their CSRs about releasing info, they cited HIPPA.. But then, I am not quite as cynical about companies as you and tend to take them at their word.

HIPAA has absolutely nothing to do with cash values, death benefits, etc.

Back