Day One

It seems like are really stressed out. And if you put off that vibe on a message board it must be overwhelming when you are trying to sell something.

Every salesman has had people deny sending cards in, rip cards up, slam doors, hang-up on them, cuss at them...ect.

The great salesman is able to go on to the next house, after having a door slammed in his face, as if it never happened. Maintaining his confidence and composure, and keep working! If these seniors sense a chink in your Armour, or your begging for sales they will tear you apart.

If somebody slams the door on you... Great they saved you a lot of time, because they were not going to buy anyway. Now you can move on and find a quality prospect.

He might want to get weekend or third shift job that will pay the bills and pay for business expenses.

This might be a better way to go in the beginning. I worked thirds and weekends until I got my business going. It is tiring, but motivating. It was also the only way that I would have the money to live and also be available during the day to build my book.

That is often the question! Whether to get a part time job on weekends of go out selling over the weekend and find those people not at home during the week and make a sell or two! Saturday has been a great day for me to sell but I have never tried Sunday.

It seems like are really stressed out. And if you put off that vibe on a message board it must be overwhelming when you are trying to sell something.

Every salesman has had people deny sending cards in, rip cards up, slam doors, hang-up on them, cuss at them...ect.

The great salesman is able to go on to the next house, after having a door slammed in his face, as if it never happened. Maintaining his confidence and composure, and keep working! If these seniors sense a chink in your Armour, or your begging for sales they will tear you apart.

If somebody slams the door on you... Great they saved you a lot of time, because they were not going to buy anyway. Now you can move on and find a quality prospect.

:skeptical: Sorry if that comes across as being stressed. To me it speaks of reality. I was just contrasting the at the door experience to the phone call and thinking out loud which way might be smarter to follow considering today's high gas prices! In other words is being "old school" and running the leads better or worse than taking the time to call? You seemed to suggest calling was better so rather than reinvent the wheel I was wondering if you had a tried and true script that you might share that works better in the senior market? In calling seniors I would still think that calling mornings would be better than calling evenings in general while in the under age market evenings might still be best.

Last edited:
It is a misconception that Seniors get up early or want to only be called on early in the morning.

I suggest doing both, get a job and cold call when you are not on the job. Cover your bases, you can not afford failure so hedge your bets and work both as hard as you can. Something good is bound to happen and your odds of that are doubled by buying some time to succeed.

He might want to get weekend or third shift job that will pay the bills and pay for business expenses.

This might be a better way to go in the beginning. I worked thirds and weekends until I got my business going. It is tiring, but motivating. It was also the only way that I would have the money to live and also be available during the day to build my book.

Some very good, pragmatic advice here.

It was the point I was trying to make (althought Alston is more eloquent), but it seems like the initial poster already had his mind made up!

A bit of advice of you're talking about residential door knocking from someone who was a regional manager of a door-to-door marketing company for 5 years.

It is not if but when you'll get the police called if you're knocking on residential doors....especially if you're going to target seniors.

Any type of managed property is out. You won't get to the 20th door before someone calls the PM company and the cops show up.

Many localities require you to have a solicitors permit even if you're not actually selling goods at the door. Check, because when "5.0" rolls up and asks for your permit and you don't have one you'll receive a ticket or summons to appear.

If you want to get combative with the cop who happens to be having a bad day then you'll be in the back seat. I can't tell you how many times I got a call from lock-up.

We had to get get permits for almost every area we were in which was a huge pain.

So just be diligent. Before heading out knock on doors:

1) Stay out of managed properties
2) Do not knock on doors after dark
3) Check to see if you need a permit
4) Obey no soliciting signs

I think that the initial poster demonstrates determination and resolve that the position of selling insurance is the high road. As a manager I think my position is to instill and demonstrate belief in both my product and my industry. In other words just because I have no leads this week is no excuse for not going out there and making things happen. On top of that if I can demonstrate and transfer to my new recruit my belief that selling insurance is a superior profession by demonstrating how with even no leads we can put money in our pockets from week one then I believe the odds of him or her washing out will greatly be reduced. It works, I have demonstrated in the field that it works, now you have a track to run so make a decision to do it and go do it! :noteworthy:

I think a second or third shift job or a weekend job is the way to go. You are correct that IF one can make one or two sales weekly they will be fine but the problem is IF. A job delivers a guaranteed pay check but sometime insurance is cyclical. Haven't all of us went for stretches where the pickings were slim and then we would have a string of successes. The problem is if one has no money a 1-2 week dry spell will finish them off. They will only survive if they get very lucky and if they are newbies the learning curve can take a while.

A bit of advice of you're talking about residential door knocking from someone who was a regional manager of a door-to-door marketing company for 5 years.

It is not if but when you'll get the police called if you're knocking on residential doors....especially if you're going to target seniors.

Any type of managed property is out. You won't get to the 20th door before someone calls the PM company and the cops show up.

Well here's the GOOD news...the Sulphur Springs neighborhood he's talkin' about here in Tampa doesn't have any "managed properties" for sure...

As for TPD showing up...just pray you don't end up in the Orient Road Jail...especially in a wheelchair!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back