Department of Insurance Inquiry

What type of ins business ? It involves some type of theft of funds or heavy fraud accusation.Its not just a client saying they paid you funds . It would be multiple clients complaining.It’s not a general complaint I assure you.

Don,
I own an insurance agency.
I am not sure why they would “stop by” vs call or send a letter.

Are you suggesting multiple people filed a complaint on me in order to get a visit?

I’ve seen this happen twice before to other agents actually. One buddy I had was contacted by them because they were investigating someone who they believed he had worked with in the past. He was fine.

The other agent had been terminated for cause and they were investigating to decide whether or not they were going to yank his license.

But no, insurance department investigators do not do regular check ups on licensed agents, lol. Good luck!

I’ve been in the business 38 yrs and I’ve seen or heard of a lot of fraud and I’ve seen or heard of only a few agents losing their license. I knew of an agent taking insurers for $143 k of advances over a 15 month period and he never lost his license . Now this was long before vectoring . But the biggest fallacy is being termed for cause . Unless the cause was certifiable fraud and reported and investigated by the ins dept it’s not going on your record . How many times you think scum outfits like SL and LH have termed agents for cause to avoid paying big renewals ?It’s kind of like the fear of Cms and mapd . Everyone from tv commercials to 1000’s of phone reps are breaking 1000’s of cms rules .

Getting serious for a minute. It may not be anything the OP has done wrong. The investigation might involve another agent or even a client suspected of wrongdoing and they think the OP might have soem information they can use. However, if he does learn they suspect him of something, he should not speak with them without his attorney present.

Don't be too worried, but pay attention. They probably are investigating a case. I had such happened to me and things were not so complicated until I saw a fake COI produced from my client. What you think he will say to the state investigator? Who did it?
So be careful because sometimes the problem very fast goes from sick to the healthy head.
I had people after me till I sold this book of business.
I hope it helps.

Getting serious for a minute. It may not be anything the OP has done wrong. The investigation might involve another agent or even a client suspected of wrongdoing and they think the OP might have soem information they can use. However, if he does learn they suspect him of something, he should not speak with them without his attorney present.
I had a complaint filed against me back in the 80's. I had to write a response to the DOI. In In my response, I gave them a written statement from the lady that was supposed to have filed the complaint saying that she had no complaint against me and that it was another agent that got her to sign a piece of paper and he wrote out the complaint on his own. He had to cheat to try to compete. :mad:

I got a letter back from the DOI saying I had nothing to worry about. I guess the agent that basically forged her name didn't get into trouble because I believe he's still selling.

I had a complaint filed against me back in the 80's. I had to write a response to the DOI. In In my response, I gave them a written statement from the lady that was supposed to have filed the complaint saying that she had no complaint against me and that it was another agent that got her to sign a piece of paper and he wrote out the complaint on his own. He had to cheat to try to compete. :mad:

I got a letter back from the DOI saying I had nothing to worry about. I guess the agent that basically forged her name didn't get into trouble because I believe he's still selling.
Sad he still selling!

Hello,

Today I received information that an investigator from the department of insurance came to my office and wants me to call him.

is this normal? Do they check on you and your license periodically or something?

Im going to call him tomorrow to see what they want.

Thanks in advance for your input.

What does that mean "received information"?

No, that absolutely is not normal. I've been doing this 10 years and don't know anyone that has happened to.

Back