• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Desktop Vs Laptop

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
Time for a new computer.

I have been running Dell laptops on Docking stations for years.
However, About 70% of my time is now at my desk. When I go on an appointment it is pretty much pre sold. I will have to run some "what if" quotes sometimes.

With Compulife online, Winflex online, Crump, and a lot of companies quoting online paired with my new large screen phone (EVO). I am thinking that maybe I would get better value from a desktop. Seems like we are having to replace this stuff every three years or so anyway.

What do you guys that run outside appointments use? Laptop only or Laptop & desk top? Anyone use a tethered netbook?

Thank.

I personally love laptops because you can work from home or the office depending on the day or if you get caught up somewhere. I like to have client information close by. For value, a desktop is definitely a better value for the price and if you don't mind upgrading small things along the way, can last a long time.

Sounds like in your situation, it would be hard to justify a laptop...maybe just get a portable hard drive to sync information between your home computer and work computer.

BTW, I just read an article about Dell having major quality issues (some were intentionally sold even after they knew they had problems.)

To answer your last question, I keep my laptop in the car for ourside appointments and VERY rarely have to bring it in.

Time for a new computer.

I have been running Dell laptops on Docking stations for years.
However, About 70% of my time is now at my desk. When I go on an appointment it is pretty much pre sold. I will have to run some "what if" quotes sometimes.

With Compulife online, Winflex online, Crump, and a lot of companies quoting online paired with my new large screen phone (EVO). I am thinking that maybe I would get better value from a desktop. Seems like we are having to replace this stuff every three years or so anyway.

What do you guys that run outside appointments use? Laptop only or Laptop & desk top? Anyone use a tethered netbook?

Thank.

I use a desktop because you get a lot more speed for your money that way, but I do everything by phone/

I ditched my desktop and moved to laptop. Was tired of having to move everything from my desktop onto my laptop when I traveled. Also like being able to work from my deck or recliner.

Both. Desktops I have one for business, one for downloads, wife has her own, and we both have laptops when we want to be portable. Plus I have an android for email and calendar when I am out. We have used Gmail and Google Calendar for years, since they were by invite only and beta, and we love the flexibility and portability. No syncing necessary and I can stay in touch, monitor and update calendar from any internet accessable computer.

Unless it is a financial decision, why either/or?

We have used Gmail and Google Calendar for years, since they were by invite only and beta, and we love the flexibility and portability. No syncing necessary and I can stay in touch, monitor and update calendar from any internet accessable computer.

Ditto that. (Not that this has anything to do with Wino's query.)

Back