DOB 1/26/50... is She Still in Open Enrollment for Med Supp?

Always remember, Part B effective date trumps everything. Always get that date as soon as you can in your meeting/phone call unless of course they're T65.

Just because someone is retiring and coming off group means nothing. Get that Part B effective date! Like Somarco said, she didn't take Part B until 3/1...that's all that matters, she's OE and good to go 6 months from the effective date of Part B with no medical underwriting.

For anyone still learning...if someone age 65 and over takes Part B Medicare, then ends up going back to work and on group insurance and opts-out of Part B, they do not get another 6 months of OE when they finally retire and enroll in Part B again.

I've done this for 7 years now and seen a massive change in educated seniors that have opted out of Part B until they decide to retire. Back in 2000-2011 or 2012 there were way more people who had Part B and were retiring, many of which we had to send through GI. Thank goodness it was full comp back then, not so much now though.

If you get a lead that has a birth year of anything older than 1950 at this part of the year, your immediate goal should be to determine Part B effective date as early as possible. Then if they're beyond the 6 mos. OEP your next step should always be to qualify them based on health ASAP.

If they can't qualify and need to go through GI Plan F coming off group, your next step is to check your comp sheets.

If they're U65 then always same thing, all by Part B effective date to determine 6 mos. of OEP. U65 will vary HUGELY by state, but some pay full comp and are well worth it. Others you can just do the right thing and send them to the appropriate company that you feel is best for them. Worth the effort to do the right thing and help those folks out.

Last edited:
On the Aetna e-app a yes to the have you turned 65 in the last six months will cause it to show as eligible for Open Enrollment even if no answered on did you enroll in Part B in last six months. Not sure if that is changed when reviewed by underwriting but I think I had one go through as OE a year or so ago. If I remember right I was intending to submit it as UW but got the OE eligible indicator on eligibility screen and it skipped the medical questions and went straight to payment screen.

Last edited:
On the Aetna e-app a yes to the have you turned 65 in the last six months will cause it to show as eligible for Open Enrollment even if no answered on did you enroll in Part B in last six months. Not sure if that is changed when reviewed by underwriting but I think I had one go through as OE a year or so ago.

Because anyone eligible for Medicare that is T65 in the last 6 months is always in an OE period.

The only way you would check yes to T65 and no to enrolling in Part B is if they're on disability. In which case they get another OE when they T65.

Because anyone eligible for Medicare that is T65 in the last 6 months is always in an OE period. The only way you would check yes to T65 and no to enrolling in Part B is if they're on disability. In which case they get another OE when they T65.
That's not true. A person would answer yes to the T65 within last six months question and no to the Part B last six months question if they were six months past the 1st day of their 65th birth month but not yet their birthday that month.

That's not true. A person would answer yes to the T65 within last six months question and no to the Part B last six months question if they were six months past the 1st day of their 65th birth month but not yet their birthday that month.

I'm confused. If their 65 birthday is today and let's say they've been on A,B and a supplement for a few years because of disability, they still have a new OE now, right??

I'm confused. If their 65 birthday is today and let's say they've been on A,B and a supplement for a few years because of disability, they still have a new OE now, right??
Yes. I believe that's why one can be outside the six months from Part B eff date but still in OE due to being within six months of 65th birthday.

I've got one like that. He is T65 in December.

I don't sell drug plans, but would like to advise him if he asks. Can he keep the same drug plan he has now?

I stand corrected, I should have mentioned that in 99.999% of the cases agents will see, what you stated will NOT be the case.

But you are correct, though it's an extreme case.

I stand corrected, I should have mentioned that in 99.999% of the cases agents will see, what you stated will NOT be the case. But you are correct, though it's an extreme case.
It is rare. But this rare situation is the subject of this thread.

Back