Does a Med Supp Open Enrollment Period (OE) have “IN & OUT” privileges?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I’m not referring to getting head of the live status at the local IN & OUT.
Longtime disabled MAPD with multiple conditions incl rheum arthritis mb turned 65. I informed her that she qualified for OE with Med Supp, so she signed up and was thrilled that she was able to see her old rheumatologist. Mb was accustomed to the perks of MAPD incl dental /vision, and is now wanting to use those dental benefits from MAPD. I already explained all
Of this to her at least twice plus benefits of Med Supp with examples, but she is thick-headed.
Her husband is much more rational and asked me to come out to their home again.
I’ll explain again and do what she wants.

The question is if she can go back to MAPD again, but re-enroll into Med Supp since she would still be in her 6-month window?
Of course, I would strongly discourage this!!
But, hypothetically is it possible? Or is only 1 OE election allowed with in the 6-month period?

Caveat, I am NOT an agent.

Following are just opinions.

Effective dates are going to get tricky when working through these options.

I would think there is only one allowed OEP election for Medigap.

It seems like going from Medigap to MAPD in your scenario would use either AEP or ICEP. I don't know for sure if ICEP is available, or which would take precedence if they are both available. (Nor do I know if ICEP extends beyond AEP, which might also make a difference in your available choices if ICEP can be used.)

Then going back to Medigap from MAPD would seem like Trial Right, or possibly Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period in the spring.

Caveat, I am NOT an agent.

Following are just opinions.

Effective dates are going to get tricky when working through these options.

I would think there is only one allowed OEP election for Medigap.

It seems like going from Medigap to MAPD in your scenario would use either AEP or ICEP. I don't know for sure if ICEP is available, or which would take precedence if they are both available. (Nor do I know if ICEP extends beyond AEP, which might also make a difference in your available choices if ICEP can be used.)

Then going back to Medigap from MAPD would seem like Trial Right, or possibly Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period in the spring.

In this example, she would use AEP to get back into Supp for 1-1-23, still within the 6 months. I will make her see the light when I meet with them again tomorrow.

In this example, she would use AEP to get back into Supp for 1-1-23, still within the 6 months. I will make her see the light when I meet with them again tomorrow.

:idea:

Best wishes on the process.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Switching Medigap policies | Medicare

In most cases, you won't have a right under federal law to switch Medigap policies, unless one of these applies:

• You're eligible under a specific circumstance or guaranteed issue rights
  • You're within your 6-month Medigap open enrollment period
You don't have to wait a certain length of time after buying your first Medigap policy before you can switch to a different Medigap policy.

This suggests I was wrong and that you can use the Open Enrollment Period multiple times. I don't know how to research this further. You may need to take the question to the insurance carrier if you need to do a second switch.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Switching Medigap policies | Medicare

This suggests I was wrong and that you can use the Open Enrollment Period multiple times. I don't know how to research this further. You may need to take the question to the insurance carrier if you need to do a second switch.

LD, you are the BEST! That last sentence implies they can switch Medigap multiple times within the 6 months.
Fortunately, my customer decided to stick with the Medigap once I reminded her WHY she chose it in the first place. I think that she will be really glad for the decision over time.

LD, you are the BEST! That last sentence implies they can switch Medigap multiple times within the 6 months.
Fortunately, my customer decided to stick with the Medigap once I reminded her WHY she chose it in the first place. I think that she will be really glad for the decision over time.
They can definitely switch Med Supps as many times as they like in that 6 months.

Back