Favorite Sales Book

Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy by Ron Willingham.

You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling.

Anything by John Savage

Anything by Burt Meisel

I agree with this. In fact, he has a whole series of these short yet very helpful books. They're really more about how to live your life than about selling.

X2 on that. Just got another copy of greatest salesman for Christmas. That and The richest man in Babylon are 2 of my "classics". Neither really about selling but good lessons. Makes you think.

I can't remember all the titles since it's been a while, but I remember the authors.

1 Tom Hopkins
2 Joe Girard
3 Zig Ziggler-don't recall any of his books, but saw him in person one time.
4 Frank Betcher-How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling-
5 unpublished-Mr. Robinson

Mr. Robinson was the father of a trainer we had at an agency I worked with. Mr. Robinson had told his son something to the effect, "God gave you two ears and one mouth. If you will use your ears twice as much as you do your mouth, you will come out ahead." It's true.

I've witnessed it and probably done it myself. Talk yourself in and out of a sale. I've actually used Mr. Robinson's advice and the prospective client gave me what I needed to close the sale. Remember that one.

As far as the authors, I would imagine, Hopkins and Girard are my favorites that I've read. I have the utmost respect for Joe Girard. Although cars were his claim to fame, and I sold cars too, before I discovered insurance, no one to this date has beat his record. Guinness still recognizes him as The World's Greatest Salesman. Everybody needs to know about "Girard's Law of 250" too. It goes for life as well as sales.

Just got done with Bettger's failure to success in selling. well written more like a story.
currently reading: secrets of successful insurance sales. very good.

also recommend: The 12 Week Year.

One non-sales book that I found extremely enlightening is "Negotiate This!" by Herb Cohen.

In it, he describes his diplomatic, low-key negotiating style and techniques, most of which is easily adaptable to sales; I found much of what I already do in my sales presentations, he teaches as negotiating tactics.

Back