FE Transportation

I couldnt find any of the old car threads, so Im starting a new 1 so I can hear u ppl debate whats an "American" car & what isnt...for the 25th time. BUT...before u go there, Im being forced to get a new car now, I was trying to wait til the fall, but no can do. Im fine with a used car, I plan on having it 4-6yrs Id guess & Im not looking to spend a lot, ideally 12-16k range. I like roomy sedans with some "GO" preferably....and of course I have to like the looks of it too. So Ive narrowed down my choices to 1 practical car that I think is a pretty good car, fuel efficient & roomy....a 2009-2012 VW Passat (JD just cringed & possibly stopped reading, lol). Or a fun to drive, very powerful sporty sedan Ive rented a few times & loved, but not so fuel efficient....a 2009-2012 Dodge Charger (thats for u JD). From what I can tell, both are very highly rated by their owners, but both are just avg in reliability ratings from what I can tell & I wont by anything with over 50-60k miles. Sooooooooooo....I need feedback, anyone have either of these cars? Gordon, u are the car guru, whats the reliability of these? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Dodge is garbage. Not that I prefer the passat.

I drive a Passat and it's a great car, loved the other passat I had before this one. That said, if you're driving a lot, you've hit your head to not get a Jetta TDI. Over 40mpg, excellent reliability, and fairly comfortable. I bought my wife a Jetta (she prefers smaller cars) and she thinks it's great. I even drive it every now and again and it's a fun little car.

Thursday my Cadillac stranded me in the 'hood so I had to go for a 1 mile walk to a gas station (gas gauge was unreliable) and that was that. Saturday am I picked up a VW TDI sportwagen. Diesel and a 6 speed? I LOVE it. 30 city and 42 highway and all the techy goodies.

Thursday my Cadillac stranded me in the 'hood so I had to go for a 1 mile walk to a gas station (gas gauge was unreliable) and that was that. Saturday am I picked up a VW TDI sportwagen. Diesel and a 6 speed? I LOVE it. 30 city and 42 highway and all the techy goodies.

Was the Caddy sitting on blocks when you got back?

You HAVE to drop a timing belt into the Passat at about 80k. It is an interference engine and you can need a motor if you don't. Figure another $600 on top of the purchase price. Personally I love the look of the Passats but would never own one because the cost of repairs is too great. As far as I am concerned you couldn't give me a Dodge Charger. All the Chrysler products have great styling and crummy dependability.

Last edited:
Back