Forum where we can really talk

Like what? You can't get much more anonymous than you are here.. The Dude has been on here for years and I dare say most people have no idea who/she is...

To get back to the insurance theme,

Perhaps we could have @Life Hawk and @Thedude engage in a debate about whether one can sell more insurance with, or without, hair.

The first amendment DOES NOT apply to private entities.

It applies to the Government.

When you are on a social network, you DO NOT have 1st Amendment protections from the private entity. FURTHERMORE, you accept the terms of service when you sign up.

This is true.

However, consider that when you have a small group of private entities that control 99% of the places online where people commonly speak/discuss and they collaborate (or even if they don't) to censor certain points of view, this is tantamount to censoring the town square.

I completely understand what you're saying about the First Amendment and you are completely right. However, one can create a very oppressive atmosphere and yet still have free speech in the 1A sense.

(Yes, I realize anyone can start a web site, but I'm talking practicalities here...Facebook, Twitter, etc. are where the eyeballs are).

This is true.

However, consider that when you have a small group of private entities that control 99% of the places online where people commonly speak/discuss and they collaborate (or even if they don't) to censor certain points of view, this is tantamount to censoring the town square.

I completely understand what you're saying about the First Amendment and you are completely right. However, one can create a very oppressive atmosphere and yet still have free speech in the 1A sense.

(Yes, I realize anyone can start a web site, but I'm talking practicalities here...Facebook, Twitter, etc. are where the eyeballs are).

Yeah, it's tricky. The first amendment was written before Facebook or Twitter, or even tv or telephones for that matter. The second amendment was written before rail guns or attack drones, or Brittany Spears.
Guantanamo Interrogators Torture Inmates with Britney Spears

This is true.

So, I would argue a few things:

While the Constitution writers didn't have social media, they did have social groups. As a matter of fact, Freemasonry, was one of the "Social Clu's" of the day.

You don't have unfettered free speech in Freemasonry. You have an obligation to not violate. When you violated it, you were disciplined.

It's the same in a job. I work for the state government in a Federal program. I can be disciplined, up to termination, if I violate the Hatch Act or disclose sensitive information.

It's the same basic principles, on a digital scale. You agree to terms of service. If you violate those terms, your argument to oppression is false. You can leave the digital platform at any time. You can stay within their rules and not be disciplined.

You are accountable for what you do in someone else's house. Don't want to follow their rules, don't be in their house.

I can understand inconsistency in how standards are applied, but saying that it's oppression.. I disagree.

A prime example, Facebook doesn't like my Ads for Medicare insurance. I can't figure out what they want, so I just don't use them to market.

The "market" can control these companies by just not using them. However, if the bulk of users are okay with limitations, then it doesn't mean they're violating any basic tenant of your right to free speech.

Don't like it, don't use it.

Ever wish there was a forum where we could really talk anonymously about selling insurance? There’s so much I’d like to discuss but not on a public forum.
Create new account, post on this forum.

lie a little here and there and occasionally change your genders and bam you are covert .....but you might eventually lose who you really are. I’ve been the dude so long I don’t know who I really am anymore

This is true.

This right here, 100% These sites have become like public streets where people communicate in a lot of way's

It in a way becomes a public place, I would say due to its model of free service getting paid by advertiser's

It's like people are put in a slow-boiling pot

Back