health insurance agent questions

florida2001

Expert
The questions

what made to pursue this career path?
What is the best option for total begginer to start after taking the course

I was always so curious about how the medical insurance system works and want to understand, so thinking now to take the course to educate myself and in the same time consider to find job in this field. any tips how to start? Im in Florida. any school recomendations?

thank you

Hang on tight.. my gut is telling me you will see a lot of openings by next year from insurance carriers offering you a position. When you are new to the industry, my recommendation is to apply for a position through an insurance company so you can be trained in nicely before starting out on your own. Good luck!

If you want to get into sales in the insurance business, you will need your state license first and if you want to get into Medicare sales, you will need to pass your AHIP. Insurance companies will hire you based on that alone. Next year I’m sure you will see a lot of organizations wanting to hire people out of college with their state license and AHIP cert. they will probably beg you to join. You can use that as
A stepping stone to owning your own agency and making a great living. Good luck!

I agree with n3417511. When I started I went captive with a national company. The training was very valuable. Also later when I became a unit manager, part of my job was to fill chairs for the weekly recruitment meetings. So as n34… says, you’ll be getting calls. The down side is that when you leave the company you’ll loose your renewals so study and learn the ropes as fast as you can to minimize that loss.
That said, you won’t be any worse off than you are now but you’ll have knowledge you might not acquire for a long time by just starting out on your own right away.

My path helped me to be very well rounded in knowledge from every angle, and it has helped tremendously as I help clients through carrier issues of various types. I started out in medical clinics doing insurance billing. Then moved to carrier large employer group sales; got license at that time. 5 years later, moved to an independent Medicare agency and all of the knowledge I brought about claims, billing, employer group health plans and ACA rules helped me to be able to well-serve our mostly senior client base.

I became partially disabled and needed something to do, which was less physical on me at the time. Also I enjoyed helping people as I still do. I went straight into medical insurance in early 2001 (big mistake). When Obamacare started creeping into the industry, our business lost at least 40% of our revenue in the under 65 market. Later went in P&C and wrote as a sub-agent under a well seasoned commercial agent for 4 years. This was by far the best decision I made. We then went with a pretty good aggregator where we owned 100% of our business. Sold our agency a couple of months ago and did well, mainly because we had an outstanding retention ratio with our group health and commercial business. As most have said, go to work for a captive agency if possible, independent is tough on either side. Always look for opportunities to buy in or partner with an older agent or agency.

The questions

what made to pursue this career path?
What is the best option for total begginer to start after taking the course

I was always so curious about how the medical insurance system works and want to understand, so thinking now to take the course to educate myself and in the same time consider to find job in this field. any tips how to start? Im in Florida. any school recomendations?

thank you
Not to be a wise arse, but is Spanish your first language ... wish I could speak Spanish. I don't claim to know it all, but a couple a thoughts I can offer ... I got into it because the music business is not easy ... nor is working as a carpenter ... things have changed over the years ... i net flipped the script ... there are A LOT of different types of insurance ... know what you are talking about might be a good idea ... but don't talk down to people and try to show them how smart you are? It's about getting them to calm down and open up ... get them involved and talking. Once they understand, they'll trust you, be patient ... the stuff that bores you out of your mind they don't deal with ever ... don't be out here trying to F people ..? If you want a "career" it will take time ... you want to get people spreading the word for you. This business is FULL of douche bags o.k ... once and a while they succeed; most times not.

Back