Help Needed in Regards to Best Company to Start Career With!!

Basically any company that train you how to be an agent is a good company. NWM can do that. So can MML, NYL, Mutual of Omaha, and many others, as long as the agency manager is a good trainer. Don't pay any attention to other unsuccessful new agents. Put your blinders on and learn to market yourself, prospect, set appointments, fact find, prepare proposals, present solutions, overcome objections, close, deliver policies, stay in touch with existing clients, do policy and yearly reviews. Learn how to be an agent, then after you have been trained, go independent. Find a field marketing organization (FMO) that offers the best products and marketing programs and commissions. That's how you do it.

Basically any company that train you how to be an agent is a good company. NWM can do that. So can MML, NYL, Mutual of Omaha, and many others, as long as the agency manager is a good trainer. Don't pay any attention to other unsuccessful new agents. Put your blinders on and learn to market yourself, prospect, set appointments, fact find, prepare proposals, present solutions, overcome objections, close, deliver policies, stay in touch with existing clients, do policy and yearly reviews. Learn how to be an agent, then after you have been trained, go independent. Find a field marketing organization (FMO) that offers the best products and marketing programs and commissions. That's how you do it.

Thanks thats great advice! I was talking to someone and they pretty much said the same thing. My only problem is the training in this particular office isn't that good. I haven't learned that much from the joint work I have been doing with my "mentor" he's not that knowledgeable or skillful. So i'm in a little rut, because I want to be great here I like the company, i'm just not growing in this office. what other company would you recommend? I don't want to be considered just a life insurance agent, I want the families I serve to view me as a full financial planner. I ask people for help with taking an effective fact finder and no one seems to want to help, so It's stressful because i'm not making as much money as I would like!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just started career with northwestern mutual, after being here for 3 months now i'm not sure its the best fit for me. I have a friend who is trying to get me to work with him at hbw, idk too much about the companies please give your advice.

Is there another company I should be looking at such as a mass mutual, guardian or new york life? I like the financial strength of northwestern mutual but I don't want to stay with a company only because of their financial strength. (even though that is important)

So please let me know if nml is a good place stay why/why not.

You wont find much difference between firms in regards to training and young reps being there but the mentor part is key. When these companies interview you (mass, pru, axa) you need to interview them at the same time to make sure the manager is able to take you under his wing and show you the ropes. Keep them accountable as well cause because they will feed you a lot of fluff

This is great advice. I think that Western Southern or Combined can be great places to start (not great places for careers) because they teach you to sell. Once you know how to sell you cn write your own ticket.

i see you are in new york, which branch office are you with? I heard their training programs are pretty good and aggressive.

i see you are in new york, which branch office are you with? I heard their training programs are pretty good and aggressive.

I'm in the great neck office. There are more meetings about numbers than training on developing skills. Which isn't what I signed up for, I'm no expert and I'm always trying to get better.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is great advice. I think that Western Southern or Combined can be great places to start (not great places for careers) because they teach you to sell. Once you know how to sell you cn write your own ticket.

That's ultimately what I want to do, understand how to sell and go out on my own. I was told that NWM was a great company to get the proper training. I think It's my office, it's really new and doesn't have that many seasoned reps. My mentor has only been in the business for a year and a half and still hasn't hit the first year company minimums. So I don't feel like he is a good mentor for me personally. So i'm looking for a place I can go to get the proper training.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just started career with northwestern mutual, after being here for 3 months now i'm not sure its the best fit for me. I have a friend who is trying to get me to work with him at hbw, idk too much about the companies please give your advice.

Is there another company I should be looking at such as a mass mutual, guardian or new york life? I like the financial strength of northwestern mutual but I don't want to stay with a company only because of their financial strength. (even though that is important)

So please let me know if nml is a good place stay why/why not.

Have you decided to stay? I'm actually talking to both NWM and Mutual of Omaha right now, trying to decide which would be a better fit for me.

Most of the Guardian offices near you should be rather high producing agencies as you're not far from the HO.

What kind of training are you looking for? And what kind of background do you have? In other words, what would NML need to suddenly do differently to make you happy with their approach?

Truth is, a lot of them are going to focus on numbers and simply tell you to see the people. Learning the business is often a personal on-the-job-training pursuit in the career world. That's not to say it's bad, but those sales managers need to put numbers on the board themselves, and they don't get there by teaching to the difference between whole life and universal life.

NML is going to pound Al Granum's One Card System into your head like there's no tomorrow. 10-3-1.

You could probably learn that system inside 15 minutes and then be off to the races.

qasiymsg,

I am also new to the business. After signing with 2 companies, I find that Mutual of Omaha has one of the best trainging for me. Of course I would have to agree that having a great manager really helps.
I just wanted to let you know that it is not easy. I find the insurance business is a cut throat business. The first company I was with, did not even pay me on the agree commission and the training was poor. The second did not train at all. Since starting with MOO, Mutual of Omaha has been great so far. I sign up the end of May and it took me a while to get going. I was so bum from the last company that I thought I would be treated the same. I started to be active the end of June and writing in July. Not to brag but to help you is that I turn in 16 apps in July. I am new to this company and I think they should have a division in NY. If you like you can PM and I can connect you.
I am not a recruiter, just trying to help a fellow agent. Hope this helps. Check out several companies and then pick one. The key:
1. Strong company with a great rep
2. Training and support
3. A Great Manager
4. Prospecting! Prospecting!

Good Luck To You.

Kay:)

Decide what your interests and goals are for the next 5 years. Write them down and head to the internet for some comparisons. You don't want a company just for the name, you want a place that holds the same values and goals that you do.

When deciding on salaries, work environment etc check out GLASSDOOR, it is a very good inside look at major firms.

Back