hiring an assistant during AEP

Did you hire them this way from the beginning?

It sounds great! Just wondering about getting someone to be ok with working 3-4 hours a week now and 40 during the 4th quarter.
Find a mom who wants a totally flexible job. My first hire was a friend from church, shes a widow with 3 special needs kids. Former teacher, has her masters. Its not the money-its her BCBS PPO group health insurance.

Second was the manager at Pilates studio who got downsized in a merger. Used to be a manager at E Systems.

I am very, very specific on my expectations. Wendy is already working on the spreadsheets for the fall. Kristina answers the phones, returns VM (anything received by 4 is returned same business day), follow up emails, etc. She travels a lot because her husband travels for work and she goes with him. I could care less. Answer the phone. Get them on my calendar. In TX, Florida or Boston. It takes at least 6 months for anyone to figure out what they can answer, what they can ask you and return and what needs a scheduled call.

MAKE SURE they sign something about stealing clients.
Get your CRM in place
Figure out communication. (We use Teams)
Figure out vacations. #1 cannot take vacation in July because I am out.
Figure out the calendar.

But your first step is to spend 30 days detailing what you do all day. Then you determine what to pass off. Then you get to train them. Its super fun.

But a reasonably educated stay at home wife and/or mom who needs $20K a year, working part time with total flexibility will be the best hire you ever make.

Find a mom who wants a totally flexible job. My first hire was a friend from church, shes a widow with 3 special needs kids. Former teacher, has her masters. Its not the money-its her BCBS PPO group health insurance.

Second was the manager at Pilates studio who got downsized in a merger. Used to be a manager at E Systems.

I am very, very specific on my expectations. Wendy is already working on the spreadsheets for the fall. Kristina answers the phones, returns VM (anything received by 4 is returned same business day), follow up emails, etc. She travels a lot because her husband travels for work and she goes with him. I could care less. Answer the phone. Get them on my calendar. In TX, Florida or Boston. It takes at least 6 months for anyone to figure out what they can answer, what they can ask you and return and what needs a scheduled call.

MAKE SURE they sign something about stealing clients.
Get your CRM in place
Figure out communication. (We use Teams)
Figure out vacations. #1 cannot take vacation in July because I am out.
Figure out the calendar.

But your first step is to spend 30 days detailing what you do all day. Then you determine what to pass off. Then you get to train them. Its super fun.

But a reasonably educated stay at home wife and/or mom who needs $20K a year, working part time with total flexibility will be the best hire you ever make.
Thank you, that gives me a really good picture of what and who to look out for. Funny enough, my wife kind of fits the bill for this. I am not sure having your wife as an assistant is very wise though... It would be great for being able to travel but not sure it's so good for a relationship. If anyone's done that before feel free to weigh in lol

Thank you, that gives me a really good picture of what and who to look out for. Funny enough, my wife kind of fits the bill for this. I am not sure having your wife as an assistant is very wise though... It would be great for being able to travel but not sure it's so good for a relationship. If anyone's done that before feel free to weigh in lol
We tried it. Lasted 4 months.

Decided to stay married, instead.

Your wife will know 10 women who fit this

Best thing I ever did.

I have 2 of them now. One for paper and managing me, one for phones/calendar.

Both are virtual.

Both are paid an annual salary, based on X dollars per hour, 20 hours a week. Phone girl is probably working 3-4 hours a week right now. I don't care. I need 40 hours+ from 10/1 to 12/15. I am not dealing with micro managing hours worked.

You don't have time to train after Labor Day. You need to hire now.

Im intrested in more info as well

In addition to what Ben asked I am really intrested in what to expect to pay for quality help

Mine she is great, the problem is my youngest is autistic, non verbale and getting older

So I am losing more and more of my wife, and it was already more then she could do with 25 hours a week now its going to be less hours now

Im intrested in more info as well

In addition to what Ben asked I am really intrested in what to expect to pay for quality help
I assume its a PT job, that averages 20 hours per week over 52 weeks. (Its actually less and I don't care)

Look at it like this: $25/hour is $50K for full time work.

Person 1 has been with me 10 years and because she is getting widow benefits, we get pretty creative. But she cant make more than $20K-ish. Please don't ask. ;)

Person 2 started at $18/hour (I think?) and got a "you are fabulous" raise in January. Plus the annual raise.(See below)

Assuming we hit our annual goal (which is 120 new clients per year), each person gets $500 more per month, beginning with the March paycheck after 1/1. At 120 clients per year, with a $25PMPM average, that's a raise of $36K. I give each of them $6K of it.

I want good, happy people.

Mine she is great, the problem is my youngest is autistic, non verbale and getting older

So I am losing more and more of my wife, and it was already more then she could do with 25 hours a week now its going to be less hours now
Sorry to hear that about your youngest. I used to work with autistic kids for a while and I still miss it. That was my job right before this one. I am also a parent though and I can imagine it's tough.

Back