HMO Doctors... How do they get Paid ?

Mike Siegal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hey Buds,

(I think i know the answer, but i need confirmation)

QUESTION: DO 'Primary Care HMO under 65 doctors' get paid on 'the number of patients whom selected them as their Primary' (even though they may never see them)?
  • DR SMITH: Has 400 HMO Patients (choose him as primary)
  • DR WEBB: Has 1000 HMO Patients (choose him as primary)
Theoretically, Dr Webb should be making more $....Correct ?

NOTE: In MA, the above ex. Webb makes more $ than Smith (generally speaking). Medicare pays both Dr a fee every month for doctors on the books (whether they see them or not).

Is it THE SAME with HMO under 65 ?

Depends on the HMO model, and there is no set method, each can be tailored. Staff Model will pay a salary, and have bonuses. Group Models, think of Kaiser, have salary and bonuses. Bonus can be based on quality outcomes, profitability, etc. An IPA doctors earn a fee based on services rendered or a monthly fee per HMO patient, regardless of whether the patient is seen. Open Ended HMO's tend to mimic IPA.

Last edited:
Hey Buds,

(I think i know the answer, but i need confirmation)

QUESTION: DO 'Primary Care HMO under 65 doctors' get paid on 'the number of patients whom selected them as their Primary' (even though they may never see them)?
  • DR SMITH: Has 400 HMO Patients (choose him as primary)
  • DR WEBB: Has 1000 HMO Patients (choose him as primary)
Theoretically, Dr Webb should be making more $ Uae Salary....Correct ?

NOTE: In MA, the above ex. Webb makes more $ than Smith (generally speaking). Medicare pays both Dr a fee every month for doctors on the books (whether they see them or not).

Is it THE SAME with HMO under 65 ?
in my province there is a public website link that provides a breakdown of the annual billings to the govt. of each physician in the province. I would imagine the same type of info. is probably available in most provinces. If so, can anyone provide the link for that info. for Ontario?

in my province there is a public website link that provides a breakdown of the annual billings to the govt. of each physician in the province. I would imagine the same type of info. is probably available in most provinces. If so, can anyone provide the link for that info. for Ontario?
We don't have provinces here.

Back