Hospital Indemnity Insurance?

That depends on the carrier. United American used to say you could not use their FlexPlan with any HSA that did not have at least a $10K deductible. That always frustrated me, because it was the PERFECT add on to a high deductible plan.

Conseco sells hospital indemnity but they don't position it like UA and some of the others. It is sold as filling in the gap from your MM, not to be used in place of like Mega does it.

Conseco pays a lump sump benefit. You can add a rider that pays a daily benefit as well. Price is reasonable.

HTH

Attachments

• Hospital Secure.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 23
  • HospitalSecureBrochure.pdf
    265.3 KB · Views: 27
used to cover the deductable on a high ded plan F Medicare Supplement

Possibly.

What will you tell your client that buys high F, doesn't go in the hospital but does go to the doc 20x during the year?

American Continental has a true hospital indemnity plan, for less than $100 month, a 60 year old female could get $2000 initial and a few hundred per day, with a few other french benefits thrown in there.

Modern Health agents don't know how to sell these plans and worry too much about the details. They're not supposed to be a substitute for health insurance. The best agents for these plans died off years ago.

I am looking for high daily hospital benefit plans being offered on an individual basis in Ca. and Tx. as well as small group plans offered in Ca. Tx. Az. and Nv.

Thanks
Mark

I'd very much like to know where to get more information on this plan.

American Continental has a true hospital indemnity plan, for less than $100 month, a 60 year old female could get $2000 initial and a few hundred per day, with a few other french benefits thrown in there.

Modern Health agents don't know how to sell these plans and worry too much about the details. They're not supposed to be a substitute for health insurance. The best agents for these plans died off years ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why?

Rick

Does it matter?

Last edited:
If people have a few extra bucks then an indemnity plan can be a great add on to their PRIMARY health insurance. It was not meant to be a primary plan.

They are usually cash plans that pay directly to the insured; like a first diagnosis cancer plan for instance. The premise is that if someone gets a serious cancer then $25,000 extra might be welcome.

So you need to research your options ahead of time regarding Network, correct John? I have a family that wants one to cover pregnancy because deductibles are very high for health insurance in Ohio and they do not want to go HMO route. Its good this couple is planning this, I wish more potential clients did this..

Check the exclusion language for normal pregnancy. Most plans sold direct won't cover normal pregnancy without a very long waiting period.

The Colonial Hospital Indemnity is a good fit for this couple (9 month waiting period for normal delivery), as many plans with big deductibles hurt couples planning to have children. Short term disability is important also.

You will have to get her employer on board with offering voluntary benefits in order to make this happen. Most plans sold direct do not cover normal maternity.

Aflac has a hospital indemnity that covers normal maternity, and it is sold direct in many states - for now at least. Losses have been very high and they have withdrawn from Utah and other states. I'm not sure of the status in OH.

Back