• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

How do independent agents run MVR’s?

ffs328

This might sound like a stupid question, but I’ve worked 14 years for a large captive carrier. The MVR’s were automatically run at the time of quote, so we never had to do much; now I’m going independent and want to know how that works.

So let’s say I’m quoting a commercial auto fleet of 6 vehicles. The submission requirements ask for all info on the drivers, including MVR’s. Do I run those myself and attach them to the submission? How does one do that when the carrier no longer does it themselves in the quoting platform?

It sounded like a stupid question, until you said that you used to work for a captive.

Ultimately all the carriers will run the mvrs at some point in the underwriting process. Some will give you a quote without running the mvrs, and some will make you run the mvrs first. I've always found it unethical and kind of snakey when they do that, but there you go you have to be careful to watch out for that.

You can run the MVRs to yourself through a service that you purchase first. The one we use charge of something like $12 for each MVR. The benefit to that, is you can find out who has issues with their licenses, and can advise the insured to exclude those people to better their rates, and find out before the carrier freaks out and denies the account, sometimes even if you say you'll exclude the person later.

Last edited:
what I find snakey and unethical is agents who will change an applicant's birthdate in order to generate a "competitive" (auto) quote in order to cause someone to change insurance agents and insurance carriers.

Ultimately all the carriers will run the mvrs at some point in the underwriting process. Some will give you a quote without running the mvrs, and some will make you run the mvrs first. I've always found it unethical and kind of snakey when they do that, but there you go you have to be careful to watch out for that.

This is totally correct. Some do it before and some do not. If they do not - is it really a quote? Who knows.

There are separate services you can use and there are different prices by states. It is often best to run the mvrs yourself in more complex situations.

Back