How do you quote? Format? Paper? What?

G

Is it just me or does doing quotes take more time than it should?

I'd kill for a service for IFP (indiv./family plans) that lets me put in the client's DOB and zipcode and a few other parms, and it puts out a really nice PDF file with prices and policy summaries for selected carriers.... similar to what I get from BeneMall or Rodgers for group (and they DO it for me for free... and usually in an hour!.)

Currently I go to the BC website, put in client info info, up comes a very short list of policies and deducts and prices. I can pick 3 to compare side by side. I print that page to PDF. I may have to do it again as I want another 3 plans. So I now have 2 PDFs.

Next I will include one or two plan summaries for the ones I highly recommend (Lumenos, these days). Another 2 PDFs.

Then I use a PDF utility to combine all 4 PDFs into one PDF. I use another utility that lets me annotate the PDFs by superimposing text boxes in/on them where I point out features, warnings, etc.

Then I go and do the same thing with Blue Shield. Sometimes I will add Aetna.

When done I use my utility to combine the Cross and Shiled (and Aetna, etc.) PDFs into one big file. Takes me at least 45 minutes to do a 'montage' PDF of quotes and plans for a client. And, I don't think it looks too professional... not nearly as nice as when I quote group from BeneM or Rodgers.

I used to send stuff via Priority Mail, ($4.60) but it got expensive and on call-backs I always got "I didn't have time to read it... but I will".... but they don't... and I wasted the money.

How do you guys do quotes for IFP? What format do you use? I don't think it has been discussed here before.

Thanks,
Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Initially, via email. I don't use a PDF file with the first contact. If I can't get ahold of them, a letter is sent touting the fact that I am local. I also include a short hard copy of the plans I am recommending.

The second and subsequent emails are not as long and are general in nature.

Next I will include one or two plan summaries for the ones I highly recommend (Lumenos, these days). Another 2 PDFs.

Then I use a PDF utility to combine all 4 PDFs into one PDF. I use another utility that lets me annotate the PDFs by superimposing text boxes in/on them where I point out features, warnings, etc.

I recently started using Cute Pdf and Fineprint and absolutely love the programs. But i do need a software program that allows me to combine pdf, word, etc. files. What program are you using to combine files into one?

I don't mail the client anything until I have qualified them. I do send a few e-mails introducing me and letting them know that I will be calling them. I feel that is not prudent to send any literature until I know more about them and have done a thorough pre-qualification. Everything they need to see is uploaded into my webinar.....

I recently started using Cute Pdf and Fineprint and absolutely love the programs. But i do need a software program that allows me to combine pdf, word, etc. files. What program are you using to combine files into one?

I use a Mac (no editorial intended) and there are a million utilities for dinking with PDF files... some free, some in the $40 area (I use the free ones!). I can only assume there are a ton of them for the PC

I don't mail the client anything until I have qualified them.

I've already done that on the phone or in person via a B2B visit. I know their budget and try to quote plans within or slightly above that figure (usually what they are paying now.) No matter what, I find the process of quoting more time consuming that it ought to be.

If it were legal to 'slurp' up the data from several carriers, parse it,and output a nice quote sheet/file, I would write the system, sell it to all of you guys on a subscriber basis (like our www.jaya123.com service), and retire!!

I'd pay top-dollar for a service that does this. Is there one?

Al

I use a Mac (no editorial intended) and there are a million utilities for dinking with PDF files... some free, some in the $40 area (I use the free ones!). I can only assume there are a ton of them for the PC

I've already done that on the phone or in person via a B2B visit. I know their budget and try to quote plans within or slightly above that figure (usually what they are paying now.) No matter what, I find the process of quoting more time consuming that it ought to be.

If it were legal to 'slurp' up the data from several carriers, parse it,and output a nice quote sheet/file, I would write the system, sell it to all of you guys on a subscriber basis (like our www.jaya123.com service), and retire!!

I'd pay top-dollar for a service that does this. Is there one?

Al

Do you do your appts. via face to face or phone? If you do them online I can show you something that I put together that cuts down the preparation stage about at least 70% using a webinar program. IM if you are interested and I will send you something.

I think Quotit and perhaps Norvax offer a program you can use to run up IFP quotes from all available carriers in one pdf format. Problem is you have to buy the online as well, I think, and it costs around $100 a month just for the IFP, $200 a month if you want small group as well.The more I look at what the guys here are doing with the webinar idea, the program where they see what you are seeing, I think that may be a way to go if you are doing online business.Offline, I guess you could produce separate pdf quotes from the carrier agent sites and put them together using Acrobat (not reader) into one document.The other option, which I hate, is to use a GA like Benefitmall to do it. You'll get nice output but they want you to write through them and there is no GA override on IFP business, thus you end up as a sub-agent under their agent number.Dave

Do you do your appts. via face to face or phone? If you do them online I can show you something that I put together that cuts down the preparation stage about at least 70% using a webinar program.

You know, I'm so new at this biz (like less than a year into it) that I've not looked into any of the high-tech service-delivery systems... such as VYew or similar things. However perhaps I should.

I've found that all the whiz-bang, super-duper high-tech 'stuff' is worthless if you don't have clients... and without a referral base, for me it's been call, call, call... knock, knock, knock. Once I get a live one, I just try to keep it simple for them... and emailed PDF files seem to work pretty well for me along with either in-person or a phone 'close.' I then set up the log-in for the client and they do an online application (except for some of my older clients who are not comfortable with the computer or who have slow dial-up.)

Al

On Line Quoting - PDF proposal

I have used an on-line quote engine http://www.zapquote.com. Very easy to use and has all the major carriers in California (only). You can generate pdf files for individual and group. The program also allows for your prospect to see what is on your screen. Very powerful and I'm too stupid to use all of the bells and whistles.

I can access the quote engine from my PDA and can even quote Medicare Supplements and short-term plans. I love talking with people at Starbucks (my field offices) and quoting insurance on the spot.

Give the owner a call. Name is Frank at (877) 235-3851. He's a great guy. I think he charges something like $40 per month, including a website. VERY reasonable.

Rick

Back