How to Do Compliant Business Cards

Isn't credibility part of prospecting which would make your card a prospecting tool? I have recieved a few sales from having the products I sell listed on my cards, not many but it doesn't hurt. I always know who I am targeting so my card doesn't change. I don't sell many MA's or pdp's but I make sure my clients know I offer them.

Yeah I guess whatever. I think we r going in circles here.

Thanks everyone! I am also going to check with the area manager for the company I rep. at the store kiosk. Also, will check cards other agents leave at the kiosk….one is a captive agent of that co.

Just ordering new cards, some may be left at a store kiosk for MAPD/supps/under 65 health insurance. For now, my online portal only does non-Medicare related health quotes. I show the online quote/app URL for non Medicare insurance.

How can I indicate that I sell Medicare related insurance without violating the ad rules from CMS for MAPD solicitation?
One of our local agencies has a marquee sign outside: "We sell Medicare Supplements". Maybe just mention supplements?

Help is appreciated!

You can put that you sell MA and PDP plans on your business cards and if you get permission you could put carriers name on it but if you do this it is not compliant to to give these to Medicare eligible consumers unless they ask you for a card.

Business cards = marketing materials

If you make intial contact to a consumer by cold calling or door knocking for med supps , FE etc. and you are also appointed with any MA or PDP plan you are putting your license on the line by distributing business cards that even mention MA or PDP

I know of an agent who thought he was being slick by leaving a generic looking flyer on the door knobs of people who were not home after he door knocked.This flyer said that he was an independent agent who was able to offer many different insurance companies .The flyer didn't mention any carriers name but it had a diagram showing the difference between Med supp and MA and it said he offers all the different types of Medicare health plans.

He left this flyer on one of my clients door and she showed it to me when I was at her home for an appointment.She was not happy about the agent canvassing her neighborhood and she wasn't happy about the agent leaving litter on her front door and also she didn't like the fact that this flyer attached to her door knob indicated that she wasn't home to would be burglars.

When I told her that what this agent was doing is also a violation of the CMS marketing rules and that this type of activity by rogue agents makes it harder for agents like me who follow the rules to make a living she asked me who she should complain to.I knew who this sleazebag agent was and that he was appointed with UHC so I told her if its that important to you then you should complain to UHC - she did and he is no longer appointed with UHC

If this agent had just left a generic business card on doors that he was cold canvassing that said he sells MA and PDP it would have been the same violation as leaving the flyer.

So just leave the MA and PDP information off the business card because you don't ever want to sell a MA or PDP plan to a consumer you made initial contact with cold calling anyway and there won't be any problems

You can put that you sell MA and PDP plans on your business cards and if you get permission you could put carriers name on it but if you do this it is not compliant to to give these to Medicare eligible consumers unless they ask you for a card.

If you make intial contact to a consumer by cold calling or door knocking for med supps , FE etc. and you are also appointed with any MA or PDP plan you are putting your license on the line by distributing business cards that even mention MA or PDP

I know of an agent who thought he was being slick by leaving a generic looking flyer on the door knobs of people who were not home after he door knocked.This flyer said that he was an independent agent who was able to offer many different insurance companies .The flyer didn't mention any carriers name but it had a diagram showing the difference between Med supp and MA and it said he offers all the different types of Medicare health plans.

He left this flyer on one of my clients door and she showed it to me when I was at her home for an appointment.She was not happy about the agent canvassing her neighborhood and she wasn't happy about the agent leaving litter on her front door and also she didn't like the fact that this flyer attached to her door knob indicated that she wasn't home to would be burglars.

When I told her that what this agent was doing is also a violation of the CMS marketing rules and that this type of activity by rogue agents makes it harder for agents like me who follow the rules to make a living she asked me who she should complain to.I knew who this sleazebag agent was and that he was appointed with UHC so I told her if its that important to you then you should complain to UHC - she did and he is no longer appointed with UHC

If this agent had just left a generic business card on doors that he was cold canvassing that said he sells MA and PDP it would have been the same violation as leaving the flyer.

So just leave the MA and PDP information off the business card because you don't ever want to sell a MA or PDP plan to a consumer you made initial contact with cold calling anyway and there won't be any problems

A lot better explanation of the pt I was trying to make.

Maybe the guy step over the line with the flyer but I respect him for his door knocking efforts and I would be embarrassed to have helped him get into trouble. That is just how I feel about it. I am not advocating that anyone violate CMS rules but they are absollutely contrary to the whole concept of free enterprise that this nation was built upon.

Maybe the guy step over the line with the flyer but I respect him for his door knocking efforts and I would be embarrassed to have helped him get into trouble. That is just how I feel about it. I am not advocating that anyone violate CMS rules but they are absollutely contrary to the whole concept of free enterprise that this nation was built upon.

I did leave out that I had a previous run in with this same agent lying to one of my customers to try to get him to switch plans.

Believe me I believe in free enterprise and do not think that some of the marketing restrictions are fair but if I have to put up with all the BS to be able to meet with a prospect in a compliant manner I sure as hell think that agents competing against me to get to the kitchen table should play by the same rules

I don't know what it is but it seems that recently I am seeing a steady increase in the flagrant disregarding of the CMS marketing rules .I was at a prospect home last week and the lady got 3 cold calls from Medicare insurance agents in the 2 hour period I was there . Maybe the agents pitch was going to lead with the Med supp but I guarantee you that were going to pivot to MA as soon as they needed to.The problem is the consumers don't realize that what the agents are doing is illegal and unfair to ethical agents who play by the rules.

I am fortunate to have built up a big book of business but because there is no way I could see all my customers in the AEP window I am a sitting duck to agents that are reaching out to my clients using non compliant contact methods

XRAC said: "I would be embarrassed to have helped him get into trouble."

That would put you in direct violation of the ethics policies that you agree to with CMS and individual carriers. Door-to-door soliciting of any kind is against CMS policy. All consumers who receive unsolicited phone calls or materials of the nature noted here should be instructed to call Medicare directly to report their experience.

This is to protect both them and us.

Back