How to give claims advice without being a claims adjustor

A Claim is not a Claim until a loss occurs. I feel with black and white and never speculate on gray. If I dont have your complete policy in hand it is impossible and unprofessional to give you a guess.

During my years as a claim rep I had many policyholders say "My agent told me." Then I would often have to say "Your agent was wrong. I'll read you what it says in your policy."

It's best for an agent to be cautious about answering "what if" coverage questions unless he/she can point to a place in a policy and say "Here's what your policy says about that."

During my years as a claim rep I had many policyholders say "My agent told me." Then I would often have to say "Your agent was wrong. I'll read you what it says in your policy."
It's best for an agent to be cautious about answering "what if" coverage questions unless he/she can point to a place in a policy and say "Here's what your policy says about that."
Can’t you tell a HO not to file right away and mitigate their loss to see if it is even worth filing. If you call your insurance agency first it will ding you.

An insurance agent cannot, or should not, tell you to not file a claim.
But probably can explore the variations? People don't recognise when they even qualify for a claim. Sometimes they don't understand that the adjuster should look at a damage, and they don't have such yet.

Back