How Would YOU Handle this Situation?!?!?

That's bad form. People in the business 1 year would handle the situation better. Your there to help clients, they aren't there to help you. Hope you don't get DOI complaints.

For the record...as per my previous post...once the INSURED requests me to release information on their behalf (so long as we're still officially the agent) i will.

and really? throw the DOI out there like that? cmon....really....cmon.

That is not what you said in the first post. In the first post you basically stated that you planned to sabotage their closing on a house.

And yes, if you purposely sabotaged their closing out of spite, they most certainly should call the DOI & report you for it!

Last edited:
Its agents like you that give insurance agents a bad image.

These people helped to put food in your mouth, clothes on your back, & a roof over your head for 5+ years!

Now out of spite you screw up their closing on a new house? Seriously???

Sure, it sucks loosing a longtime client. But that is the nature of this business. Not every client will be with you until you retire. Get over it, act like a professional, & do the right thing.

Also, if the new agent does not officially take over for 10 days, then officially you are still their agent and required to provide them service in a timely manner.

And the husband is right. Its nothing personal. Its business. Be a professional!!!

If you dont, I hope they report you to your states DOI. You would deserve it.

I agree. Always do the right thing. Someday that may be back looking for a quote. Their friend may not last or may screw up. Never burn bridges.

what is the average shelf life of a new agent? The odds are she won't last a year.. But when she leaves, considering the way you are handling this I doubt the client will beat the door down coming back to you as their agent. Agents should never slam the door on a client.

Well almost never.... ;)

One of the best things about this biz is that we dont have to write business for people we dont want to!

But once we do we have an obligation to act professional. Hopefully one day this guy will realize that and will stop giving this industry more of a black eye.

You have a professional responsibility to take care of this. The way your acting, it's like your new in the business yourself and you are a sorehead because of what these clients did.

Think of it more positive and what you can gain by doing what your supposed to do.........when this agent leaves the business in about 6 months because she ran out of friends and family, your old client will need you again.

And if that happens, you should graciously thank them instead of telling them what a mistake they made.

Think like a professional agent and you will not only keep your existing clients, but you will win old clients back by always making certain that in the event they ever need you in the future, the door is always open.

Please post how you will actually respond to this situation.

Hello All,

I have a 5+ year personal lines client that I've done an excellent job for over the years. I've made my personal cell phone available during times of need and I've always...always provided top notch service. Ive reviewed their policies at renewal & moved them to other carriers when necessary. I even went to college with the wife.

Now she had one of her best friends get into the insurance business & I got a BOR this morning. I reached out to the client & the husband exclaimed it wasn't anything personal...it was just they're choosing to work with this new agency to help their friend.

I respectfully accepted this. HOWEVER...They're trying to close on a refi TOMORROW and their bank needs insurance docs...which I've advised I can not be of service & they can use their new agent. ? thoughts?

:no:

You've already been beaten up enough and rightfully so. With that said, I'd recommend calling these clients and stating you've received a call requesting information, but you can't release it without their approval. And since this is such an important matter (refi closing) you wanted to be proactive and get their approval.

Go out classy!

Last edited:
Great post, Excellent Answers.

Be a Professional....you can never make an error IMHO, by doing what is right for the customer, even it if cost you personally.

It is not always easy but it is the right thing to do. And like others said...with the low retention of newbie agents, they could very well be your customer again in the future.

Gosh, great thread.

Back