Humana Agent Service

Yep.
#boycottHumana
#boycottUHC

While the commission situation is not ideal, boycotting UHC or Humana for MAPD is not really possible, at least not in certain areas. They have the biggest, best, and most sought after plans in certain areas.

Any of you agents who happen to be in NC and want to boycott Humana, I'll be happy to take care of the clients you lose over that. In fact, PM me with your address and I'll send you a box of business cards you can hand out to them.

And now you all see exactly why Humana and UHC get away with screwing agents out of comp.

BECAUSE WE LET THEM.

If you love lower commissions so much, here's an idea.

Let's petition Humana and UHC to pay less.

What sounds agreeable to everyone?

Dear (Humana) (UHC):
You are paying too much on renewing MA plans. Please consider paying us at the following level only (pick one).

A. 50% of current CMS max
B. $10 per app per month
C. Current prime rate translated into dollars (could rise over time)
D. No renewals at all. Just pay CMS max in year issued.

Remember, Humana is the company that pays its "career" agents $5/month. Five bucks. Truly amazing that anyone would go to work under a deal like that, but they sure do.

If that's how much they care about their own "career" agents, how much do you think they care about YOU?

Remember, Humana is the company that pays its "career" agents $5/month. Five bucks. Truly amazing that anyone would go to work under a deal like that, but they sure do.

If that's how much they care about their own "career" agents, how much do you think they care about YOU?
I agree with a lot of of what you said except for this part. Last century I was a "career" agent with Globe Life/United American. They treated Independent Agents MUCH better than they did their "career" agents. And they wouldn't let their "career" agents have an an Independent contract. :mad:

And now you all see exactly why Humana and UHC get away with screwing agents out of comp.

BECAUSE WE LET THEM.

Dear (Humana) (UHC):
You are paying too much on renewing MA plans. Please consider paying us at the following level only (pick one).

B. $10 per app per month

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you.

But, again... in some areas you have to write Humana or UHC MAPD plans. So, we just have to put up with it.

I can't go with Aetna, Wellcare, etc. if the client's doctors are on a UHC or Humana plan, the plans are better, and the client would prefer a UHC or Humana plan in the first place.

At the end of the day, what Nick said was right... while current year renewals is best, it's really about volume.

BECAUSE WE LET THEM.

Dear (Humana) (UHC):

B. $10 per app per month

Also, perhaps you can change them after a few years. Mention xyz plan has some benefits they may want to try, etc. Of course, the new plan has to have their doctors, etc.

If they get on the plan and don't like it, then switch them back to the first plan the next AEP. You could also use the OEP.
-------
If you have a 5-star plan in your area, you can switch them at any time of year. Then use AEP later if they want to switch back.
-------
With a 5-star plan in an area, a client can actually have 3 different plans in one year - 3 different enrollment periods (AEP, OEP, and 5-star SEP).

If there are two 5-star plans in one area, you have another SEP; so 4 enrollment periods in total. I actually have this in my local area.

Last edited:
You could not be more incorrect, on both points but especially the first one.

By your logic, Humana relies on CMS to tell them what the commissions will be for the following year on renewals from prior years.

I never said that. I said that the companies wouldn't know what the following years renewals would be until CMS gives it out. Now, that does not have anything to do whether the company will pay the current FMV or not.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

CMS only dictates the MAXIMUM commission payment allowable.

This is true. The companies could give less if they choose to.

If CMS maximum allowable comp for the next year is $20 per month, Humana can choose to pay ANY AMOUNT it wants UP TO $20. It could pay $13.35, or it could pay $17.50, or whatever number it chooses, so long as that amount does not exceed $20 per month.

CMS only tells Humana the MAXIMUM it can pay. That's it.

And so far, that's what they pay for first, except for the renewal years.

If you were correct, then EVERY MA plan under the sun would pay the exact same amount every year. Doesn't work that way, does it? In fact, Humana pays less on renewals than virtually every company except perhaps UHC because it chooses to do so.

On point #2, every MA plan is valid only for one year. Surely you know that. MA plans are not guaranteed renewable at all in any fashion, either with respect to benefits or marketability. Thus, any MA member in a Humana plan as of September 12 will have their current plan end on December 31. If they are in a Humana plan as of January 1, they are in a new plan with new benefits (potentially). They are NOT in the same plan, even if the plan number remains the same.

Fine, I'll give you this one because it's not the usual way of looking at it, especially when you look at the commission schedule and it plainly refers to "renewals",.but this point is actually not relevant at all if it's a new plan or a renewal. They still call it a renewal.

And you're an FMO? Seriously? My goodness.

See answers to other questions inside the quote.

Look, I'm not saying that Humana, or UHC, or any other company should or shouldn't increase the "renewals" each year to the FMV, but I am saying that it is what it is and you know that going in. If you don't like it, then don't sell them!

See answers to other questions inside the quote.

Look, I'm not saying that Humana, or UHC, or any other company should or shouldn't increase the "renewals" each year to the FMV, but I am saying that it is what it is and you know that going in. If you don't like it, then don't sell them!
"And you're an FMO? Seriously? My goodness.":err:;)

Actually did not know that going in. Learned it the hard way over time.

It's amazing how many agents don't know it. We're fortunate to have a growing number of companies paying FMV on renewals. There is no reason not to, other than corporate greed.

Going forward, we are writing less and less of Humana. In one of our markets, they have told us they are going to flip our clients next year and retain those cases in house.

They never stop. Humana truly is the most anti-agent company.

They only get away with it for one reason. We let them.

In one of our markets, they have told us they are going to flip our clients next year and retain those cases in house.

They never stop. Humana truly is the most anti-agent company.

They only get away with it for one reason. We let them.
They actually said that? :huh:

I'd love to see that memo.:yes:

I'd beat them to it and move as much of it to another carrier as I could!!! :mad:

Back