Hypothetically, how Hard is It to Pull Off a Huge Insurance Scam

Andy Andy

This is hypothetical of course:

I rent a small house from the owner/previous occupant.

I have had renters insurance in place for two years.

I have my consumer goods, such as electronics, tools, appliances and sporting goods covered by my renter's insurance. These are relative values, what they are worth currently, and I imagine that altogether I would get about $1500 for them.

I also have several heirlooms. I have my late grandfather's large coin collection, appraised and graded at over $3,000 and his stamp collection, appraised and graded at $7500, and my great grandmother's antique clock, valued at $1200. I have these insured as collector items, so these I would get exact value for. That is stated in the policy.

Add these all together, and that is a check for 12 grand should these items be "stolen" in a "burglary"

Step 1. I load all these items into my car, and take it to a storage unit facility. I back my car into the garage, which has a side door into my house, that way neighbors won't see me loading these items. And I won't be renting a storage unit it MY name. The insurance investigators have likely seen people try that before, and will have some way of checking if I rented a facility.

No, I will be taking it to a facility my friend has. He doesn't live with in my household, and he has nothing to do with my policy, so the insurance company has no idea I've ever met him. Also, he wouldn't know about the insurance fraud. I'd tell him I need to store them there to make room for when I have my house painted in a few weeks, to make room and because I don't feel comfortable leaving my valuables there with strangers since I'll be in a hotel.

Some of my friends and I meet at a pool hall for a few hours every Thursday night at 7pm. This is right up the road from me.

So at 6pm next thursday, I go to this window which is right next to my backdoor. I smash this window, then go inside and see if the cops show up. A burglar smashing this window could easily reach in and unlock my back door.

If someone witnessed the window being smashed and the cops show up, then obviously I cannot go forward with the plan. But I can obviously prove I live there, and could just say that I locked myself out and had to break a window, so no problem.

If 6:50 rolls around and the cops haven't shown up, then obviously no one saw me break the window, and I leave for my meet.

I will return around 11pm, immediately call the police and report that I've been robbed.

And it would make sense, a burglar could have recognized my house is empty for several hours at the same time every thursday night, thus making my house a logical target.

I then file the insurance claim, and get a check that will allow me to take a nice two week vacation to Australia next month, and then a two week trip to Italy this summer.

Lol could that work? Hypothetically of course

Make sure you wear a mask and don't drive your car. All you need is one person to pipe up saying that they saw you or you car at the time of the robbery and it's over.

Beyond that, if the carrier smells a rat they might have you investigated. A buddy of mine years back used to be an investigator - specialized in disability fraud. He was the guy taking a video while you played football in the weekend.

So they smell a rat, hire an investigator. First thing that will peak the carrier's interest is your vacation to Australia. If they decide to take you to court, just in fees to defend yourself it's gonna cost....oh...around 50K, at least. In a civil case to recoup they check they wrote, the burden of proof is less than a criminal case.

Last edited:
Hypothetical, here is what I see wrong.

1. I hope you aren't using your home internet to post here, they can track what websites you have been to.

2. Shouldn't have posted that pool hall thing. The times of the crime. The value of your property. You put too much detail there.

3. Don't go taking any vacations outside of your routine.

4. Don't you have replacement value for your non collectors items? Should have gotten that if someone is going to pull this scam, more money for same effort.

5. It is illegal.

The small amount is likely on his side. My place got robbed when I first moved to Vegas. It was actually a quad and the entire quad got hit.

I didn't lose that much in value so it was a small check. The the police "investigation" was an absolute joke. The cop was there for all of about 15 minutes, came a few words away from saying "tough ****" and left.

Actually, I've seen this happen, more than once. If you think the insurance company doesn't know, you are crazy. Its hard for a reasonably honest person to attempt to pull this off, to many little details.

I could tell you how, given your story, the claim would get flagged to go to special investigations unit of the insurance company, but I won't. Just trust me, the agent always has a sense of these and the adjuster as well.

Times are tough in the economy. Insurance companies are getting hit with these types of false claims frequently now. They have systems in place to help prevent paying fraudelent claims. Unfortunately, real claims sometimes get caught up in it now, because they have gotten stricter.

Dan

Small amount is beneficial but 25K is still a small amount but more than double what he lists. 300K would be a different story.

If one is going to compromise their morals and break laws they may as well make it worth it.

Back