• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Hypothetically, how Hard is It to Pull Off a Huge Insurance Scam

Dan,
I am sure it takes about 2 weeks before that cynical outlook to set in. I remember one agent would always joke saying "believe it or not, clients do lie to you...often." I have been lied to by preachers, police officers, little old ladies, etc.

When I was with a multi-line agency, I used to love to go to the adjuster and hear what was going on. We had two in our office and they always had some funny stories.

I could not do what they did. I could take the pressure to produce, but to have people threaten you almost weekly would be too much. We had some counties where the clients could be from a rough crowd.

Last edited:
As easy as tracing an IP address and starting an investigation

As easy as insurance agents saying "You know what we should do? We should think of certain keywords related to this claim, log them in on a random internet forum to see if someone's asked a question about it?"

Besides, it's not like they could search my computer. It's among the valuables "stolen."

As easy as insurance agents saying "You know what we should do? We should think of certain keywords related to this claim, log them in on a random internet forum to see if someone's asked a question about it?"

Besides, it's not like they could search my computer. It's among the valuables "stolen."

People post videos of themselves committing crimes all the time. An investigator would be stupid not to do a basic internet search to see what you were up to.

Is Andy your first AND last name?

I read somewhere in the criminal justice code that someone with a first & last name that are exactly the same are exempt from taking a polygraph test.

Your plan is foolproof...........

Here are a couple items:

2- Adjusters handle claims like this every day for years, they can pick up on stuff you can't even imagine. They are not stupid.

3- Let a special investigations adjustor "interview" you. I have "heard" it done (in adjoining office) and it's not pretty. THey will grill you like you would not believe.

And I fully agree that many, many, MANY criminals do get caught because they can't remember all the details. Then the story has variations every time they tell it, and when grilled about that, they get caught.

But you should consider that my story is so simple, for that very reason.

In the police report and insurance claim, I say "I went to meet my friends at the pool hall at 7pm. I suppose I left around 6.50 as per usual. I returned around 11pm to find the broken window and my items missing, and that's when I called the police. I know nothing else about the burglary."

All of that is actually true, and if there is any question regarding my whereabouts, my friends and the bar staff would confirm it perfectly. The one and only thing misleading about the statement would be that the broken window came as a surprise to me.

And it would make sense that I DON'T know anything, because now that I've proven I wasn't there for 4 hours, it would stand to reason that I couldn't possibly know anything about what happened in my home during those four hours. Those are facts, and would effectively make my official story unfalsifyable, with no details to remember and no place to trip me up.

Now that my alibi has been proven, any other question about the incident will be stonewalled with "I don't know, I wasn't there."

At that point what do they have left to do aside from making a decision of paying my claim the easy way or the hard way? (AKA writing a check, or being sued for the check)

In transporting prisoners for 4 years which also meant working not only in the police station but also the commissioner's office, there is what people think they're going to say and what they actually say.

In my experience, rotten to the core people - true criminals can lie without blinking. The rest of the 98% of people who try to pull sh*t like this off don't typically make it 10 minutes with an investigator without being drenched in sweat or giving 50 clues that their story is pure BS.

In transporting prisoners for 4 years which also meant working not only in the police station but also the commissioner's office, there is what people think they're going to say and what they actually say.

In my experience, rotten to the core people - true criminals can lie without blinking. The rest of the 98% of people who try to pull sh*t like this off don't typically make it 10 minutes with an investigator without being drenched in sweat or giving 50 clues that their story is pure BS.

I'd say that is spot on. Rather similar to the new guy in any position. He may have been told what to say and given a script to use, but he hasn't done it repeatedly and isn't polished in it.

Lying out your a** in a convincing manner to an experienced investigator is a lot harder than most people realize.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Call in an attorney during the investigation? Save yourself the money and just tell him you're guilty. The money you spend on your attorney during the investigation would be better spent at your defense trial.

Last edited:
I'd say that is spot on. Rather similar to the new guy in any position. He may have been told what to say and given a script to use, but he hasn't done it repeatedly and isn't polished in it.

Lying out your a** in a convincing manner to an experienced investigator is a lot harder than most people realize.

But do I have to "say" anything? There are of course experienced attorneys specializing in insurance claims, to whom any further questions may be directed.

How do you think the typical agent's "grilling" is going to fare against an experienced attorney who has been hearing these tactics longer than the griller has been alive?

His fees can be added to the claim.

Back