• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

I Need a MENTOR!!!

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I need an experienced mentor that I can bounce ideas off of. I feel that I am becoming quite knowledgable in commercial P&C, but I still feel like I don't have a grasp on the business end such as when to get loss runs, what is the best way to get them, when to present quotes, how to negotiate a second look, etc.

I would love to have an experienced agent that I could call and speak to about potential clients when I get them, and best practices to close the sale.

I am averaging about 50%, close to quote ratio, and feel like I should be doing much better.

I would gladly pay someone for their help if you are veteran agent. My biggest problem is the agency that I am working for has a large commercial dept. but they have always had people come to them at the office and has never really had an outside agent, which I'm sure you know is very different.

I need an experienced mentor that I can bounce ideas off of. I feel that I am becoming quite knowledgable in commercial P&C, but I still feel like I don't have a grasp on the business end such as when to get loss runs, what is the best way to get them, when to present quotes, how to negotiate a second look, etc.

I would love to have an experienced agent that I could call and speak to about potential clients when I get them, and best practices to close the sale.

I am averaging about 50%, close to quote ratio, and feel like I should be doing much better.

I would gladly pay someone for their help if you are veteran agent. My biggest problem is the agency that I am working for has a large commercial dept. but they have always had people come to them at the office and has never really had an outside agent, which I'm sure you know is very different.

I have often thought the same thing. But honestly, trial and error is a big part of the learning process of this business. If you go with your gut, most times you will be right.

You should have DSM's for the company's you represent. Bounce things off of them. Most of the time, they suck but they should be able to call their other agents and fact find for you.

I think those are good courses, i would also take as many webinars as you can, especially when a carrier does it at not cost.

Do you have The Hartford, they have a school...

Also, I always advise people to pick 2 or 3 SIC codes and learn those inside and out, and advance from there.

I haven't taken the p&c licensing test yet.

If thats the case, I would suggest doing only personal lines for 6-12 months only, so you can learn the terminology and coverages,

Every single commercial business has different needs and coverages. Way too much to learn for everything. Thats why I say pick 2 or 3 SIC codes and learn those.

You ned more info for a commercial quote than you do a personal quote. If you only focus on personal lines (PL) then you will stumble on commercial.

Commercial is also harder to get ahold of the business owner. Granted it pays better because of higher commissions, but harder to get. If your goona target commercial, I would also increase your E&O limits.

Such as business interuption coverage can really catch you in a E&O problem, or EPLI coverage, TONS more to know in Commmercial.

Back